Timing belt off a notch? Which way?

Whitgallman

I changed a timing belt on a 1988 Civic 1.5 and now have these problems, stumble/hesitation on acceleration, and I'm getting only about 15 MPG,
Yes I need to move the timing belt a notch, but can you tell me which direction to move the belt in relation to the Cam Pulley? Sounds like the belt needs to go one notch CLOCKWISE in relation to the cam pulley?
If you could be specific it would same me loads of time.

THANKS!!!
(head was rebuilt due to burned valve and head face was shaved enough to clean up surface, will this matter much?)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
It's not the belt you move, it's the cam TDC to the crank TDC. The belt just keeps those timed together. You need to pull the belt loose and line your timing marks up. Then put the belt on to keep them matched.

Whitgallman

Would it matter that the head was shaved a little to clean it up ?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
That would have nothing to do with timing or setting it correctly. You would still follow the same marks and use the same belt. Nothing will change.

Whitgallman

The manual said the horizontal lines on the cam pulley are to line up with the edge of the head not necssarily plumb flat horizontal. This would have the cam pulley point slightly to the left (front). Is that what you get? Engine is tilted forward?
Also, does it screw up to ever turn the engine clockwise? Like the belt would be tighter on the right, water pump side if you turn clockwise rather than counter clockwise?
Could that have made my D15B2 off a notch?

Last edited:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
D15 should be timed to the 9 and 3 o'clock marks which would line up with the head. The tilt of the engine has nothing to do with it. It's still going to line up with the cam even if the car is upside down in a ditch on fire. Always rotate the crank pulley counterclockwise. Once the belt is on semi tight and timing is set, rotate the crank about 2 teeth counterclockwise and then tighten your tensioner pulley to pull the slack out. Works EVERY time.

Whitgallman

AlaskaB16,
Merry Christmas tomorrow. THANKS for your help!
I corrected the timing. After a number of efforts, got the cam shaft wheel TDC to line up with the camshaft TDC WITH the belt on.
NOW it won't fire up. It fired up once, reved real high and then died and won't fire for any thing. Starter turns it fast. I've been charging the battery between each attempt.
Could correcting the timing (or miscorrecting it) have caused it to not start?
It was out of fuel by the gauge and I figured jacking it up might have drained the fuel away from the fuel pump suction line, but I've since put 1/4 tank of gas in it. still won't fire up (cranks OK).

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have someone crank while u turn the dizzy. Is your firing order right?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes u can be 180 out but normally the rotors only go on one way. Are u sure ur firing order is right?

Whitgallman

I took it all apart and started over. Found the belt really loose. Tightened the tensioner bolt with a 2x4 and a floor jack. I've got it all together but didn't try to start it yet.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The way you put the belt on is important. It can knock it off of tdc if you do it wrong...

Whitgallman

I started over with the timing and found the belt was loose. must have jumped a few cogs. This time after lining everything up, I pushed on the tensioner wheel with a 2X4 to tighten the belt while I tightened the bolt. Everything stayed lined up so I put the covers back on.
Seemed to start and run OK.