Timing belt question

SoLo98

I just got a new timing belt kit for my car since I don't want to take the chance on the one on the car since the car has 181xxx miles on it right now, will I have to adjust my valves after I put the new belt and water pump in or will it be ok just to let that go cause I don't want to if I don't have to cause the motor seems to be pretty solid atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got a new timing belt kit for my car since I don't want to take the chance on the one on the car since the car has 181xxx miles on it right now, will I have to adjust my valves after I put the new belt and water pump in or will it be ok just to let that go cause I don't want to if I don't have to cause the motor seems to be pretty solid atm.

It's not a requirement to adjust valves after replacing the timing belt/tensioner, but be warned that valve adjustments should be done for the same reasons you would replace that timing belt. Over time, things fall out of tolerance or wear out. Doing valve adjustments per OEM recommendation may potentially save you from other problems later, and it helps your car's performance/gas mileage!

SoLo98

I was going to do my timing belt in my front yard and after I get it all back together take it to my buddies garage and have him do it since I know he has the tools to do it, I just didn't want to do the belt at home and to find out that I can't drive it after I do the belt and everything.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was going to do my timing belt in my front yard and after I get it all back together take it to my buddies garage and have him do it since I know he has the tools to do it, I just didn't want to do the belt at home and to find out that I can't drive it after I do the belt and everything.

Make sure you don't mess up timing. ;) Good luck.