Timing belt

Stephen staly

So I have a 96 Honda Civic Dx d16y7 with 121,235 miles and idk if the timing belt needs to be changed or not I bought it at 119,*** and the guy said he didn't. So what do I do? I really don't wanna blow my motor

Cooper12

Respected
Im no mechanic but id have someone look at it to tell you what shape its in. I believe its 100k but a 96 civic is 20 years old and i would personally want to change a 20 year old belt immediately

Stephen staly

Im no mechanic but id have someone look at it to tell you what shape its in. I believe its 100k but a 96 civic is 20 years old and i would personally want to change a 20 year old belt immediately
I was just wondering. I just really don't have the cash. Plus idk how much it even cost

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Definitely do it. Doing it yourself or paying to have it done is way cheaper than dealing with the consequences if it fails. I know this from personal experience ;-)

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was just wondering. I just really don't have the cash. Plus idk how much it even cost.
Do you have the cash and can you afford to have the belt break, jump timing and ruin the motor?
Get a quote so you have an educated idea of what you're looking at, then, save the cash and do the preventative maintenance.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
How do most of you guys get the crank bolt off? I had to buy the tool and use a really long breaker bar to get it loose. My impact gun wouldn't get it off but I think it's because of my compressor.

Stephen staly

Do you have the cash and can you afford to have the belt break, jump timing and ruin the motor?
Get a quote so you have an educated idea of what you're looking at, then, save the cash and do the preventative maintenance.
They said 500 and I took off the valve cover to see it and it's a good year you can read the belt does that mean it's good or should they be faded off? And also everything under the valve color is redish brown like super dark, what does that mean?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
They said 500 and I took off the valve cover to see it and it's a good year you can read the belt does that mean it's good or should they be faded off? And also everything under the valve color is redish brown like super dark, what does that mean?
It's really hard to judge the condition of the belt like that. It basically won't tell you anything. Since you're unsure, just plan on having it replaced as soon and possible. The reddish brown stuff under the valve cover is just old motor oil by-product. That motor probably hasn't been really well maintained. Start doing regular oil changes.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They said 500 and I took off the valve cover to see it and it's a good year you can read the belt does that mean it's good or should they be faded off?
That tells you nothing other than it's been changed at some point, but without paperwork, you don't know when it was really done.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definitely do it. Doing it yourself or paying to have it done is way cheaper than dealing with the consequences if it fails. I know this from personal experience ;-)
Couldn't have said it any better.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I have a 96 Honda Civic Dx d16y7 with 121,235 miles and idk if the timing belt needs to be changed or not I bought it at 119,*** and the guy said he didn't. So what do I do? I really don't wanna blow my motor
I found all of this in less than 4 minutes of searching. (Hint, hint)

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-timing-belt-d16y5-d16y7-d16y8.17671/

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=worn timing belt&oq=worn timing belt&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.2862j0j7

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/oem-honda-timing-belt.html?Make=Honda&Model=Civic&Year=1996&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=1,6;et=2,5)

You can search for the online service manual download and learn how to do nearly any repair on your Civic, including the timing belt change.

TS2008

I replaced the timing belt of my Civic 2000 myself yesterday. I'm very happy I did it. I bought a cheap Honda pulley tool and I "cracked" the bolt easily and effortless with a 6 ft bar.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Does anyone on here have the ingersoll rand power socket? They are supposedly made to take off stuff like the Honda crank bolt with your impact gun.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I replaced the timing belt of my Civic 2000 myself yesterday. I'm very happy I did it. I bought a cheap Honda pulley tool and I "cracked" the bolt easily and effortless with a 6 ft bar.
Congrats, buddy! May the DIY bug become infectious from here on out.

TS2008

Congrats, buddy! May the DIY bug become infectious from here on out.
Thx Hex. Actually removing the pulley bolt was the easiest part. The timing belt covers, both upper and lower, were however pain in the a... I also found a way to remove all drive belts (ps, ac and alternator) without removing the engine lower support.

morales_luv3521

Is the belt too loose for your comfort. A timing belt will have a little slack in it and I mean A LITTLE. A good way to check tightness of a timing belt is to twist it between the cam gear and crank gear (right in the middle). You should only be able to twist it a quarter of a turn, if you can't turn it anymore than that then it is tight enough. Another couple of things to look at are the teeth on the belt. Is it missing ANY? Also, get a flashlight and look very closely to the outer side of the belt for dry rot, any kind of cracks, they will be very small if any. Bend the belt just a little throughout to expose them, otherwise you won't see them. Doing this checks the "health" of the rubber compounds that make up the belt.
If these things check out good, then your belt is in pretty good shape, so I wouldn't worry yourself to death.

In my opinion I would change it as soon as you have the money, they aren't too expensive. They are actually a lot easier to change than you may think. Especially if you have a little bit of general experience with a honda. There are some very legit videos on the Web to teach you step by step. Just search a little. I don't mean to make it sound like an emergency but if any of the belt tests, mentioned above, fail I would too hesitate to change it quickly!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

anv2tk

Respected
How do most of you guys get the crank bolt off? I had to buy the tool and use a really long breaker bar to get it loose. My impact gun wouldn't get it off but I think it's because of my compressor.
the tool you bought is a good effective way to do it when you don't have air power available. thats how I have done it. i have seen it done with an impact, you just have to hope it wasn't over tightened. i think the torque spec for the crank bolt is like 85 ft lb ... correct me if I'm wrong.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
the tool you bought is a good effective way to do it when you don't have air power available. thats how I have done it. i have seen it done with an impact, you just have to hope it wasn't over tightened. i think the torque spec for the crank bolt is like 85 ft lb ... correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree with you it's a nice tool and it works. I just don't see the dealership guys doing it this way when they have air powered tools to make their job faster and easier. One of my friends used to be a Honda technician and he told me they used a 1" impact gun at times but that seems like overkill to me, lol. I am sure there is a better design tool by now.