Timing Issue????

BombSquad91

5+ Year Member
I have a 1989 Civic DX Hatchback with the D15B2 motor. Yesterday I changed my head gasket, valve cover gasket, timing belt, water pump, plugs wire, rotor distributor cap, oil, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets. The car starts up fine and idles beautifully. Revs fine in neutral. When I drive though the car hesitates. If i floor it in first the car goes nowhere until the RPM's get to about 4,000. I'm estimating cause I dont have a tach. When I drive the car I have to be 1 gear lower than I normally would be in to get any power. It's like 1st gear is 2nd gear, 2nd gear is 3rd gear, and so on. No backfiring. When I took off the timing belt I din't move the cam gear or the crank pulley at all. Any movement was made while the timing belt was on and they moved together. The car doesn't stall at all. What could the issue be? Where do I start troubleshooting? Thanks in advance.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bet u r one tooth off...

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes thrown? If not, you can try adjusting the ignition timing with a timing light. If you are unable to adjust the timing to spec (red mark), then the timing belt is almost surely off by 1 tooth.

BombSquad91

5+ Year Member
What's a CEL code?
How do I adjust the timing with a timing light?
What red mark?
How do I make it NOT off by one tooth?

Forgive my ignorance but timing is an area I haven't gotten into yet but in eager to learn. I'm assuming if I succesfully changed all the stuff I changed ill be able to adjust the timing.

sierraCivic

5+ Year Member
I just posted something about the timing belt and timing about my car, and our cars seem to be the same engine except mine is and 88, but it is a D15B2 civic engine. So take a look, it is under the title "changing timing belt xxx" at this web site.
I agree with RonJ you probably are off a tooth or didn't get the belt tight between the cam geer and the engine crank when you put on the belt. Also maybe you didn't get the belt tightened very well with the tensioner. But I wouldn't let it go you might wipe out your valves if the belt is not right and tight.
good luck

sierraCivic

5+ Year Member
Can I ask you why you changed the head gasket. Did you have a mechanical problem, blown headgasket or what?

Just a thought ............... Before you pull the timing belt back off why don't you hook up a timing light to #1 ignition wire and see if you are on the red mark on the crankshaft pully. I would say if it is then your timing is OK.

Maybe, someone else will confirm that for you. But I think I am correct, and if so it would save you having to pull it back off, just to find that it was OK in the first place.

gugiey

Registered VIP
What's a CEL code?
How do I adjust the timing with a timing light?
What red mark?
How do I make it NOT off by one tooth?

Forgive my ignorance but timing is an area I haven't gotten into yet but in eager to learn. I'm assuming if I succesfully changed all the stuff I changed ill be able to adjust the timing.
your telling use you changed all this stuff and you don't even know what a CEL is .... or you don't know how to fix a timing belt that is one tooth off ........

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your telling use you changed all this stuff and you don't even know what a CEL is .... or you don't know how to fix a timing belt that is one tooth off ........
Maybe he's not familiar with acronyms? Check Engine Light (CEL)