Timing Marks on 98 civic ex D16Y8

dorkfish

I'm confused a little ....
doing a HG , water pump, belt sap ect. I had everything aligned at TDC before disassembly.so I thought, now that Im ready to assemble I need info.

When I aligned TDC the cam sprocket was in the "up" position with the lines on the sprocket aligned with the top of the head
the Crank gear line was aligned with the arrow on the engine

Now that Im ready to install I notice on the back cover behind the cam sprocket there are arrows I assume 'are for the timing on cam sprocket TDC

this does not let the sprocket lines be level with the top of the head but "up" appears correct

so which is it / align with top of the head or the arrows on the back cover behind the sprocket

Most videos I watched and manuals I read all align with the top of the head and only 1 video I watched specifically spelled out the arrows on the cover

thanks

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
Align the 2 lines 90 from the top text with another line. Hold on let me check to which line

dethseeker90

5+ Year Member
2. Position the crankshaft and cam pulleys at TDC.
A. Set the crankshaft so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC (top dead center).
NOTE: Align the groove on the teeth side of the timing belt drive pulley to the lower arrow pointer on the oil pump.
B. Align the TDC marks on the cam pulley with the pointer on the back cover.
3. Install the timing belt.
4. Loosen the adjusting bolt, and retighten it after tensioning the belt.
5. Rotate the crankshaft (w/ 17mm socket) about 4 or 6 turns clockwise so that the belt may fit in the position on the pulleys.
6. Adjust the timing belt tension.
7. Check the crankshaft pulley and the cam pulley at TDC.
8. If the cam pulley is not positioned at TDC, remove the timing belt and adjust the positioning.

dorkfish

where did you find this information,, and thanks

dorkfish

anybody else ????

Im at the point where I ready to install the belt

do I follow the marks on the back cover

or

align it to the head