Tinting

Lucas Mast

If I wanted to tint my windows how many rolls should I buy? Im gonna do the drivers side and passengers side, the rear and a small strip on the front up top.
thanks in advance.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can start by measuring your windows and doing some math, the back windows are a little smaller if you have a coupe but just for simplicity lets say all 4 side windows are the same, you get a roll that is as wide as the height of your window and 4-5 times as long as the width of the window. you might want to change that a little if you want your back windows darker than the front.

no one is going to spoon feed you the exact kit or amount needed, if your really lazy just look up precut tint kits for your model (which for all we know could be a 97 toyota corolla)

Lucas Mast

Well I already have two rolls of 5% but I haven't really opened it up either to check. So I should probably do that.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You already have a roll. Get a tape measure & do some basic math. How much easier do you want it?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yikes. Have you ever tinted before? Or did you just jump into this? Tinting is a pain in the ass, trust me...been there done that, I gladly pay guys to do it for me now.

How much you need depends on what brand, what kind, and the actual size of the roll. I would bank on a roll per main window and return what you don't use.

5% is limo dark, you know that right? Illegal as hell and almost impossible to see out of at night. Just a heads up.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My buddy tinted his truck himself. But he made sure to watch a lot of Youtube videos AND the long DVD that his tint kit came with. With that being said, after a few hours his tint came out damn near perfect. I was impressed for his first time. He then told me it was a PITA and he will just go to a professional next time.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yikes. Have you ever tinted before? Or did you just jump into this? Tinting is a pain in the ass, trust me...been there done that, I gladly pay guys to do it for me now.

5% is limo dark, you know that right? Illegal as hell and almost impossible to see out of at night. Just a heads up.
/thread.
In my state you can go as dark as you want on all windows except the driver and passenger, and the windshield. no darker than 35% on those. (No tint on windshield minus sun strip.)

Most people around here run 35 on the front and 20 on everything else.

I ran 3% on my del sol's rear glass because I could just roll it down when I needed.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
On mine i have 5% everywhere and the lightest tint on the windshield.. My dash is perfect and intend on it staying that way

Since i have no AC, the wndows are always down.

Knock on wood, I havent gotten pulled over yet.
But this is Florida, Cops understand its hot as hell down here. unless they get a reason to be a d**k..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It doesn't make sense to DIY anymore.
It's affordable enough to save yourself the time and frustration by paying someone who is experienced and knows what they are doing.
They'll do it with quality rolls of film, so it last and it stays black and doesn't turn purple and bubble.