Tips for replacing your 4th gen Civic cigarette lighter

jdtechtalk00

Hey dudes and dudettes,

After being relegated to a mind-numbing, iPod-less commute for a few months now due to my faulty cigarette lighter in my '91 Civic, I finally got around to replacing the cursed thing and now I'm back in the saddle again! =) For anyone else who is afflicted with this horrible condition then this quick write-up on how to replace a kaput cigarette lighter will hopefully be an asset!

**Tools you'll need**
Flathead screwdriver
Phillips Head Screwdriver
Plyers

1) Remove the ash tray from its holder on the center lower panel. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2) Remove two clips from the center lower panel of the control panel. The clips are near the floor and underneath the dash on the driver's side and passenger's side of the wrap around panel. Pull the panel forward to reveal the back of the cigarette lighter assembly.

3) Disconnect the electrical wiring harness from the back of the cigarette lighter. Use pliers to remove the small nut holding the lighter in place. The nut is located inside the back of the lighter.

4) Push the cigarette lighter out of its holder from inside the center lower panel. Push a new cigarette lighter into the housing. Reinstall the small holding nut, the wire harness and the lower center panel clips.

**Refer to this diagram if you are having troubles identifying the components involved in this job: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=35&productID=4&yearID=30&doorID=2&gradeID=6&areaID=2&transmissionID=5&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=7&idAndImageID=6192%20937393&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Console**