Tire and wheel setup…help

Jutn_h

I'm pretty new to the civic world but i just bought a 95 civic Ex and plan on building a 300hp D16. Its currently lowered 1.5-2". I want to run Rota's Grid 15x6.5 +38 with a 185/65 and was wondering about rubbing issues. I'd run a lower profile tire but the roads here in Northeastern PA are horrible. Any help would be appreciated.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off, a D-series engine is about the worse engine option you can go with if anything over 160hp is your goal. Many Honda enthusiasts will suggest you strongly reconsider.

As for your tire profile question, a 50-55 on a 185 width will do just fine in regards to ride feel. However, the only way you'll avoid rubbing with a 2-inch drop will be with high quality suspension parts. What brand struts & springs are installed?

Jutn_h

First off, a D-series engine is about the worse engine option you can go with if anything over 160hp is your goal. Many Honda enthusiasts will suggest you strongly reconsider.

As for your tire profile question, a 50-55 on a 185 width will do just fine in regards to ride feel. However, the only way you'll avoid rubbing with a 2-inch drop will be with high quality suspension parts. What brand struts & springs are installed?
Thanks for the advice as far as the engine goes, but i got my setup right and ive done my research. As a B18 might be the more practical, im a fan of the single cam. I'm also doing the whole build myself, besides the tune. As far as suspension goes im running Skunk2 coilovers… or will be. ordered them the other day.

Last edited:

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In for this build. This should be interesting. 300hp out of a D16 is not an easy task, but it's not impossible, most people just decide to buy a better motor to begin with like Hex said. I'd like to see a nice 300hp single slammer.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm pretty new to the civic world but i just bought a 95 civic Ex and plan on building a 300hp D16. Its currently lowered 1.5-2". I want to run Rota's Grid 15x6.5 +38 with a 185/65 and was wondering about rubbing issues. I'd run a lower profile tire but the roads here in Northeastern PA are horrible. Any help would be appreciated.
I think you should be fine. I had 16's with 205/55 and never had an issue, and I was pretty low. No rubbing at all. And if you do, I think you could take care of it by rolling the fenders.

Also, I drove through PA yesterday, to Binghamton NY up from NC. 81N in PA SUCKS!

Jutn_h

I think you should be fine. I had 16's with 205/55 and never had an issue, and I was pretty low. No rubbing at all. And if you do, I think you could take care of it by rolling the fenders.

Also, I drove through PA yesterday, to Binghamton NY up from NC. 81N in PA SUCKS!
Hahaha i live right off 81 20 miles south of Binghamton… and yes they do. Thanks for the help though.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice as far as the engine goes, but i got my setup right and ive done my research. As a B18 might be the more practical, im a fan of the single cam. I'm also doing the whole build myself, besides the tune. As far as suspension goes im running Skunk2 coilovers… or will be. ordered them the other day.
Well, If your dead set on building up the D16 then Im interested in seeing how it goes for you. As for the Skunk@ coilovers, I believe theyll do well enough with the drop but Im not very familiar with them.