To cold air intake or not to cold air intake......

MP1975

I drive 200 miles a day the most important thing to me is MPG. Surfing the net gets confusing so I'm asking people with my type car, who know more then me and maybe can tell of personal experiences.

Does a cold air intake give you better MPG ?

Thanks in advance,
MP.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you forgot to mention what car you have... even if you drive the car exactly the same as you would with a stock air box im pretty sure you lose mpg with a cold air intake, but we all know that with a cai your going to want to drive fast so you definitely will lose mpg. warm air intake would probably net better mpg than stock but your probably going to lose power

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The temperature itself doesn't dictate whether if you gain or lose mpg. It's how you drive. With a colder air intake charge, you "can" use less throttle and retain the original driveability this saving you gas and making better mpg. If you drove exactly the same as with the stock airbox, yes you'll have less mpg due to a larger air volume at that given throttle input which would need more fuel for a proper A/F ratio.

Like above, you're typically tempted to drive more spirited with any performance parts added to the vehicle, but it is "possible" to get better mpg if you're a very disciplined driver.

MP1975

I'm trying but never owned a 4 cyl car , which is a different style of driving, I do think I'm better off leaving well enough alone. If I can get back to my 32 - 35 MPG I'll be a happy camper.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your getting 32 mpg max out of your ex your doing something wrong already or you have some problems with your car, you should get an average of 38mpg mixed driving if you drive normal. i used to beat the crap out of my hx thinking i was fast and i wouldnt even dip below 36mpg.but i also didnt have ac or anything like that. i would check your air filter and pcv valve because when mine were bad i lost about 5mpg.

The temperature itself doesn't dictate whether if you gain or lose mpg. It's how you drive
i was under the impression that warmer air is less dense and causes the ecu to lean out the fuel and also better fuel atomization, im sure if it does make a difference its probably very marginal though

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
if your getting 32 mpg max out of your ex your doing something wrong already or you have some problems with your car, you should get an average of 38mpg mixed driving if you drive normal. i used to beat the crap out of my hx thinking i was fast and i wouldnt even dip below 36mpg.but i also didnt have ac or anything like that. i would check your air filter and pcv valve because when mine were bad i lost about 5mpg.

i was under the impression that warmer air is less dense and causes the ecu to lean out the fuel and also better fuel atomization, im sure if it does make a difference its probably very marginal though
That is true, but the stock air box pulls air from outside the engine bay anyway. If they both are using the same air, the only difference is going to be that stupid whistle sounds.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The temperature itself doesn't dictate whether if you gain or lose mpg. It's how you drive. With a colder air intake charge, you "can" use less throttle and retain the original driveability this saving you gas and making better mpg. If you drove exactly the same as with the stock airbox, yes you'll have less mpg due to a larger air volume at that given throttle input which would need more fuel for a proper A/F ratio.

Like above, you're typically tempted to drive more spirited with any performance parts added to the vehicle, but it is "possible" to get better mpg if you're a very disciplined driver.
In short, driving style is your best tool to maximize fuel efficiency, along with proper maintenance. I've done the research between Cold Air Intakes, Warm Air Intakes, and Stock Air Intake.
On a Civic with an unmodified engine it is best to stay with the Stock Air Intake and install a K&N Air Filter.
Cold-Air intakes improve nothing on a stock Civic engine.
Warm-Air Intakes require too many specific temperature conditions only to yield maybe 3 added MPG, meaning you could only do it at certain times of the year depending on your location. Its just not worth the effort.

If you're interested in improving your fuel efficiency, check out this link: How To: Better MPG

MP1975

MC , I am a led foot and trying to tone it down. I just gave it a full tune up, I have a thread going for that in here, and hopefully my MPG will go up. Not 32 max I was getting between 32 and 35 but 38 sounds much better. Another factor I have to deal with is the highway I drive daily 80 is about the average, I'm just keeping up with traffic. I'll replace the pcv cheap enough cause I didn't do that in the tune-up and I just bought this car mid May, Learning as I go. TYVM Now I know what to shoot for, 38 mpg. And I cannot deal with the heat so my AC is always on which will decrease my MPG somewhat.

Hex, I will check out that link TYVM. I am leaving it stock and will look into the KN next air filter change long as this car is still showing promise, they aren't cheap lol. I have one in my Navigator, they are the best.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're still looking for another Civic (I think you mentioned for your daughter?), I'd suggest finding a nice, unmodified HX trim for yourself and giving the daughter your EX. The HX is pretty unmatched when it comes to MPG. They are pretty hard to come by, but if you can grab one, you absolutely should. Intake really isn't going to help you out much here in the long run.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Not bad looking. I'd obviously check that VIN, the front end is a little concerning, and hopefully it shifts smooth with it being a delivery vehicle. If you pick it up, let get them Si wheels off you :lol:

MP1975

You mean the space between the hood and the front fender or the bottom bumper where it looks like the air flow tube type thing is uneven lol. It has no visor's, I took one of mine off too no biggie.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You mean the space between the hood and the front fender or the bottom bumper where it looks like the air flow tube type thing is uneven lol. It has no visor's, I took one of mine off too no biggie.
The headlights are not OEM and the bumper was replaced, same as the grill. Indicative of accident(?) or something I would bring up.

MP1975

Yeah but it's mine lol and I won't mind.

Now there's no radio, Odometer says 124 he says 134 or vice versa ???

Thanks for pointing that out, very true, only if cops involved.

This may be a passer....I'm patient.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You can potentially get better gas mileage with an aftermarket intake, header, and exhaust system due to the parts being less restrictive. Most people don't see better gas mileage though because they want to hear all the fancy new noises and romp on the gas all the time.

If your civic is already getting 30-35+ mpg, there's no need for an intake IMO.