too much oil? half an inch above 2nd dot on the dipstick

dsprimal

Banned
Title says it all. at first it showed my oil was too low. so i put a little bit more, now after running the engine and letting it settle for a bit. I rechecked and now its reading half an inch to an inch above the 2nd dot on the dip stick. Haven't had any issues while driving so far.

Has anyone had the same amount read on their dipsticks? any issues? what are signs of having too much oil or is it all subtle and i wont kno until my engine craps out?

Thanks ahead of time.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you checked it the first time was the engine cool and parked on a level surface?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes having too much oil is just as bad if not worse than low oil levels...

dsprimal

Banned
When you checked it the first time was the engine cool and parked on a level surface?
first time i checked the engine was warm but not on a level surface (read low on the dipstick). second time it was warm on a level surface (read high on the dipstick). anything noticeable i should be aware about if i did in fact put too much oil in? will i smell burning of oil or different color fume coming out of the exhaust? weird engine noise?

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just pull the filter off and that should remove about a half a quart or so and get it right.

dsprimal

Banned
Just pull the filter off and that should remove about a half a quart or so and get it right.
removing the oil filter while the engine is full of oil isnt bad? i still have the filter from the previous oil change on, so i had been planning on swapping that out soon anyways. so it'll work out great.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah all the oil will be in the pan besides the oil left in the filter.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Change your filter with every oil change...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
removing the oil filter while the engine is full of oil isnt bad? i still have the filter from the previous oil change on
That's how you ended up overfilling, always change the filter when you change the oil!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Drain your oil. Remove the filter. Take new filter and oil the o ring with your finger. Fill up the new filter with new oil. Put on the filter. Fill car with oil. Start the car. Let it run. Check fluid level on level ground.

Change filter with every oil change...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can i have my how to change your oil diy badge now?