Transmission question

Gabriel19971

I was down under my car the other day 1997 civic HX and noticed a space on my transmission and l was wondering what part is needed to cover it up

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're missing the flywheel shield/cover. I would get one ASAP. Keep in mind Im pretty sure the D16Y5 shield is different than the other trannys. You can cobfirm that on a honda parts site by looking up the part number then seeing what it cross references with, if anything else.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Heavy influence on the ASAP that hex stated. You do not want anything getting in there. Personally if you have another vehicle, I'd drive that for now. You can drive fine on the regular roads, but avoid puddles, gravel, etc...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. Consider yourself lucky that you havent had any damage yet.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Heavy influence on the ASAP that hex stated. You do not want anything getting in there. Personally if you have another vehicle, I'd drive that for now. You can drive fine on the regular roads, but avoid puddles, gravel, etc...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
its fine with out it i never o=have one i driving throught huge puddle where my oil pan and part of the block is submerged never had any problems for yrs

and gravel road dirt road you name it

and also i don't have timing belt cover too and poeple say stuff like oh rock will get in and bla bla bla non ever came true tho

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Diana Nam, nothing may have happened to you but the lack of those covers leaves you more susceptible to that rare occurence than if you'd have them on, which is the point of having them. The timing belt cover may not be as big a deal since its higher up but thees no benefit to not having it on the flywheel.

dancam

Registered VIP
its fine with out it i never o=have one i driving throught huge puddle where my oil pan and part of the block is submerged never had any problems for yrs

and gravel road dirt road you name it

and also i don't have timing belt cover too and poeple say stuff like oh rock will get in and bla bla bla non ever came true tho
Why would you want to cover your clutch in road grime, water and oil/grease, sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Why would you want to cover your clutch in road grime, water and oil/grease, sand?

sooo i can bust that myth about it to ever one as i'm a living proof and it just all speculations plsu servicing for me is much easier to see

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
plus when you have job like mine where your doing this stuff most of the time.... is just much much easier to visually see it if there is a problem without even having to touch any of my sockets or wrenches lol i can just pull my floor jack and take quick peek

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
While your reasoning is understandable, you're also in the general minority in that you can handle your own potential repairs thus the risk doesnt feel as vital to you. Even though it may still be a low risk, its still plausible and not worth it to me.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
While your reasoning is understandable, you're also in the general minority in that you can handle your own potential repairs thus the risk doesnt feel as vital to you. Even though it may still be a low risk, its still plausible and not worth it to me.
in that sense i guess but i only did this test to ensure other who aren't really incline to do repairs that they don't have much to worry about but its normal for people to be worry some

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
should he still decide to put one on he can, but if he decides to leave it as is he'll still be assured that he won't have a problem with it its only why i said it

bairdandrew77

I've gone 15k miles now without one on mine, only because it was missing when I bought the car and I never got around to finding a replacement. I take a quick peek for any damages whenever I'm under the car though.
I'd still recommend putting one on, it keeps the environment out and likely extends the overall life of the clutch and flywheel.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
plus when you have job like mine where your doing this stuff most of the time.... is just much much easier to visually see it if there is a problem without even having to touch any of my sockets or wrenches lol i can just pull my floor jack and take quick peek
With that cover off there isn't much to see but the backside of the flywheel. The cover is called an inspection cover, but it's only to inspect the teeth of the flywheel, nothing else. As the clutch is not reasonably visible.

The inspection cover is there for reason people, if you can keep it on, then keep it on. If you don't want it on then that's your prerogative but Honda put it there for a reason. To protect the clutch and flywheel from foreign debris.

Have I driven without it for thousands of miles, yes I sure have. But when I have it available it goes right back on. To make it easy on myself, I cut the top tabs off so I can pull the tranny off with the cover on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I didn't use one for a few months back when I had my Civic. With that being said, I assume myself lucky, and would recommend getting on on there. If you browse other forums, it's littered with people saying it's not needed and that they've never had any problems. But, since it's like a $20 part (my guess), it won't hurt anything at all. $20 now could save you much more $ if something were to happen down the road.. why take the risk?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
With that cover off there isn't much to see but the backside of the flywheel. The cover is called an inspection cover, but it's only to inspect the teeth of the flywheel, nothing else. As the clutch is not reasonably visible.

The inspection cover is there for reason people, if you can keep it on, then keep it on. If you don't want it on then that's your prerogative but Honda put it there for a reason. To protect the clutch and flywheel from foreign debris.

Have I driven without it for thousands of miles, yes I sure have. But when I have it available it goes right back on. To make it easy on myself, I cut the top tabs off so I can pull the tranny off with the cover on.
yes but i also have snaked in a reall slim light in there and if you angle your self right you can kinda see how thick the clutch disc is

its mostly hard to see but your nice with it you kinda see it abit

Last edited by a moderator:

dancam

Registered VIP
Isnt it like 4 or 6 bolts that 20 seconds with an air ratchet takes care of?