trim issue: clear coat?

OddandTwisted

ok so I've had this car since like July of last year and the trim of the car as well as the side skirts have some sort of layer of something. When I wash the car it doesn't come off, but if I use my finger nail I can scrape it off and you can see the black color of the trim. How do you guys suggest I remove this? I feel like it might be clear coat? cause i think the seller had said they repainted some parts. What do you guys think? thanks for your input/help in advance. Greatly appreciate it. I just want my car to look as best as possible.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If clear flakes are coming off then I would agree that its cheap rattle can clear coat. If they were dumb enough to clear it then they were probably dumb enough not to prep it properly which is why its flaking off and why it should be easy to remove it all. I suggest you pop off each trim to remove the clear coat without damaging the cars paint. Try scraping it off first then upgrade to sanding off the remains. Dont use pain removers as they will damage the plastic. After all that, you can judge whether they're still salvageable using a back-to-black type product or a plastic dye.

OddandTwisted

ok so i scrubbed it off with a green scrubby and metal scrubby. did leave some slight scratches in some areas but then i hit it with back to black . very satisfied with the results. thanks!

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Steel wood or any abbrassive scrubber is too much for plastic moldings, but that looks much better than before.