Trouble replacing distributor rotor on my 98 lx

johnr060

Hello all, this is my first post, and i hope to learn lots from this forum in the future. I am in the process of replacing my cap and rotor. But..... i cant seem to find the set screw that holds the rotor on. I have watched every you tube video and read everything i can find on google. I have rotated the crank several times just to make sure im not crazy. But there is no screw. What am i doing wrong? Does my car have some rare distributor??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

710times

Probably doesn't have one. My 2000 ex doesn't have one either. They're suppose to pull off. I broke my last dizzy doing that. The rotor on my new dizzy just slides right off like butter. I broke my last dizzy because some forum said to man handle it and use a screwdriver to pry it off. It just broke mine and the part that was suppose to slide off was stuck on there.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

johnr060

Thanks i will give it a try. The replacement part did come with a set screw. So do i use that? Or find a rotor that slides on.

710times

I'd say use the set screw. The original on has a piece of metal in it that kinda pushes on firm

710times

I broke mine trying to get it out. It should slide out. I tried forcing mine out and slipped and broke the pick up magnet. I was careless and needed a new dizzy anyway. But I had to take my new one off too hook up a wire to my tach terminal on the ICM and it pulled off like it was lubed with butter no set screw.

johnr060

I have done this step multiple times. No set screw in sight.

710times

Ya, that was the same problem mine had. I thought the new distributor would have a rotor with a set screw. But nope, sure didn't just pulled right off(the new distributor) the rotor on the old distributor was stuck on there. I turned that sucker at least 10 times and didn't see it.

johnr060

I just removed the old one. It was a slide on. Pulled right off. Although there is a hole and theads for a set screw on the dizzy.

710times

I bought a new distributor and that's how mine was also. I did get it at Autozone
but it's in a brand new distributor. When I do another tune up I will be going to honda and getting the rotor from them.