Trunk latch problem - won't lock

moltar

5+ Year Member
I know this is pretty vague and generic, but I don't really have much more info.

The trunk door closes properly, all the way to the end, but the latch mechanism doesn't catch on. I looked at the cable and it seems to be fine - i can feel that it's tight and if I pull the handle to open the trunk it moves just fine. It seems like the hook got stuck in the open position. Turning key doesn't help either.

I am just hoping this is a common problem and others could pitch in. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there should be some black rubber plugs on the trunk bottom and if they are screwed out too far its wont close. they just turn with your fingers. if that doesnt work then try moving the latch/ trunk catch up or down

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
there should be some black rubber plugs on the trunk bottom and if they are screwed out too far its wont close. they just turn with your fingers. if that doesnt work then try moving the latch/ trunk catch up or down
yep, what he said. ive had this problem a lot with my CF trunk lid:???:

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my front hood wouldnt close when i first bought my car, ended up being a spring wasnt pulling the latch shut.

moltar

5+ Year Member
Just tried it, didn't help, but I'll remember that one in case it happens in future. The thing is that even if I press the latch down with a screw driver, it doesn't lock up. It just bounces back. In the hook itself, there is a tiny hole, which makes me think there might supposed to be a spring there, but it's missing.

my front hood wouldnt close when i first bought my car, ended up being a spring wasnt pulling the latch shut.
You know, this might just be it. I just need to see another civic's latch to compare it to mine, and see if there is in fact a spring there.

what they say man
Oh thanks, that was extremely helpful ;) $PostCount++

moltar

5+ Year Member
Here is an example. See the larger version for the marks where the hole is.

peanut031708

Question

I have a 2000 honda civic ex n my trunk just recently will not close everything on it looks fine an is fine all but one rubber piece that is missing... i let my friend borrow my car n then he came back with it n wen i went to put my things in the trunk wouldn't close untill i moved the rubber piece round coulple times the next day i went to take my things out of the trunk n the same thing happen only this time half the rubber piece came off so i kepted it but i had to move the piece that was attached a little then it closed after 3 times then again it happend again only this time the whole rubber piece just came out n now it just wont close.

Now my question is, Is there any way i can close it for now with out that piece until i can get it fixed properly? and can i just get that piece on its own and how much would it cost?