Trying to decide between a B series swap or D16Z/D16Y build

decimus

Fitment Hater
Hey everybody. I've been looking in to purchasing a shell to start a build with. I've got my eye on one I'm about to pull the trigger on. It's a totally stock 95 Civic EX Coupe, teal. This is going to be my weekend/nice day/fun/occasional auto-x/track car and I'm going to be keeping my 2000 EX sedan as my daily. I'm trying to decide if I want to swap in a 98 Spec JDM B18C-R with LSD trans, or take out the Z6 motor and trans and do a stout N/A build with it. I've done the price comparisons. It would roughly cost me about $4200 to $4500 to have a 98 Spec ITR motor swap shipped to me. Then you add in mounts, axles, linkage, conversion harnesses, etc. Probably around $5500-6000 all said and done give or take to have a turn key 160ish whp motor. For about $1500 more than the $6000 I'd spend total on getting the ITR swapped in I could have an extremely stout Z6 motor. I'm talking along the lines of 10.5:1 Supertech pistons, ARP rods and rod bolts, have the head milled, 3 angle valve job, port and polish, crower cam/valves/springs/retainers, OBX ITBs, SMSP 4-1 header, Chipped P28, Hondata S300 tune, M Factory 4.7 final drive, M Factory close gear ratio set, M Factory LSD, Synchrotech carbon lined synchros, etc. Just to name the major stuff. Are there any guys on here with experience with building the D16 N/A and would it be worth it my while?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In my honest opinion, you're going to be happier with a B series (especially with that LSD). You put x amount of money into a B and x amount into a D, you're going to be much more satisfied with the outcome on the B.

But, topics like this one are discussed VERY frequently. I recommend reading through this http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=196671, and check out some build threads on here or Honda-Tech. Research!!

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
ITR can piss out 180whp with bolt ons and a tune

You might have 170whp with that worked D16, youll need a ton of work done on that head and more compression to make more power with the d series.

The way I would look at it, you have a highly reliable stock ITR in a light ej1 with good power. If it blows, you can replace parts with cheap OEM b series parts.

or

A relative power engine, with lots of machine work and expensive parts that if they blow, you have to replace with expensive aftermarket parts.