Tuning questions

99turboSI

What's up everyone? I have a few different questions about tuning my civic. It's a 99 SI with a turbo setup and a hondata S200 piggyback on an OBD1 P-28, I think haha

Anyway, i have read that altitude/elevation can affect a tune on a car. I live in WV and there is not one place in the state that is capable of dyno tuning my car, or any car :(

The place I deal with is in VA and there is over a 1800 feet change in elevation from where I get it tuned and where I live. It runs like a champ down there, but no so great back home. Is there any way to get it from not going way out of whack?

Also, it gets to the 90's in the summer and below 10 sometimes in the winter, even though I park the car for the winter months, can it still affect the car?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Atmospheric pressure is lower at higher altitude, so yes, that can mess with your tune. I think there was a guy on here that had the same problem, he lived in the mountains and had to get his car tuned at lower altitude. You should really talk to your tuner see if he can do something about it.

As far as the temperature thing, your tuner can probably set you up with two different tunes for cold/hot weather, otherwise your would probably have to come back every 6 months or so.

mal2000si

5+ Year Member
What's up everyone? I have a few different questions about tuning my civic. It's a 99 SI with a turbo setup and a hondata S200 piggyback on an OBD1 P-28, I think haha

Anyway, i have read that altitude/elevation can affect a tune on a car. I live in WV and there is not one place in the state that is capable of dyno tuning my car, or any car :(

The place I deal with is in VA and there is over a 1800 feet change in elevation from where I get it tuned and where I live. It runs like a champ down there, but no so great back home. Is there any way to get it from not going way out of whack?

Also, it gets to the 90's in the summer and below 10 sometimes in the winter, even though I park the car for the winter months, can it still affect the car?
WHOOOO i live in WV too!

not trying to thread jack but what part?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like your in a bad situation, the 1800' elevation change will affect the tune alot. If I were you, i would talk to the tuner and see if you can come up with a plan to datalog your current tune and have him try to make some changes. This obviously isnt ideal, but you gotta play the cards your delt.

Good Luck!

HA Motorsports

As long as the atmospheric pressure sensor isn't disabled withing the tuning software, your ECU can adjust to compensate for altitude changes.

As far as temperature, you need to have your tuner properly setup the advanced tables. Most tuners leave these untouched, but in your situation the need to be set up right. Within the advanced tables, fuel and ignition compensation can be adjusted dependent on intake air temp and coolant temp. When setup properly your car should run correctly no matter what elevation or temperature. (obviously it will make less power at high altitude and/or hotter ambient temperature)

Talk to your tuner, if he doesn't know how to tune the advanced tables find a new tuner...

mal2000si

5+ Year Member
the guy im gonna have tune is somewhere in WV.. i PMed you, ill tell you his name and info through there..

im trying to find some work he has done though,

but a guy named eric had a 510 HP ls/vtec hatch on 29 pounds of boost, if your lucky maybe he will tune.

he used to run "redsun autosports"

99turboSI

Thanks for all the help from everyone, I'll talk to my tuner about it. And as far as i know, there is no one in WV that is capable to tune cause no dyno, as far as i know anyways