Turbo charging a B18C5 questions

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
I am considering boosting my 97 ITR swap. Since its a high compression engine, and it needs to be low compression, what changes to the engine do i need to do so its fit for boost?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To make it a real low compression your going to be doing alot of block and head work. Rods, pistons, camshafts, etc. Good thing is you can sell off the parts you swap out because people are always looking for type r parts, depending on the mileage.

SmashBros

Alright, so the main factors that contribute to compression is head gasket and pistons. Depending on what type/compression pistions u get determines ur overall compression and depending on how thick ur head gasket determines how high ur compression is gna get..

SmashBros

oh and the desired compression should be 9.0.1 (correct me if im wrong anyone

mal2000si

5+ Year Member
you have to think though, your not looking for LOW compression, high compression is what makes power numbers, a turbo spools in air and forces the air into your cylinder making more compression and higher numbers, but if you have too much compression your head will lift off your block, or cause too much of a strain for your engine, ect.

soooo you want low compression while the turbo isnt spooled, just try not to take it too low, because the lower compression you go, the more boost you will need to make up for it, and the more boost you need, the bigger the turbo you need, and the bigger the turbo, the more RPMs you need to fully spool it. a guy with a 500hp ls/vtec turbo CRX told me not to go lower than 9:5:1 because you would need a monsterous turbo to make up for anything lower, and where its only a 1.8 liter (1.6 liter in my case) it takes a decent amount of time even to spool a t4.

hope this helped and wasn't too confusing!

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
you have to think though, your not looking for LOW compression, high compression is what makes power numbers, a turbo spools in air and forces the air into your cylinder making more compression and higher numbers, but if you have too much compression your head will lift off your block, or cause too much of a strain for your engine, ect.

soooo you want low compression while the turbo isnt spooled, just try not to take it too low, because the lower compression you go, the more boost you will need to make up for it, and the more boost you need, the bigger the turbo you need, and the bigger the turbo, the more RPMs you need to fully spool it. a guy with a 500hp ls/vtec turbo CRX told me not to go lower than 9:5:1 because you would need a monsterous turbo to make up for anything lower, and where its only a 1.8 liter (1.6 liter in my case) it takes a decent amount of time even to spool a t4.

hope this helped and wasn't too confusing!
Agreed! i have 8.9:1 in my ls vtec. i think im making like 345 to the wheels on 12.5psi. if i had 9.5:1 my tuner told me i would make like 400 with no more boost. So as the above post says you need a big turbo, i have a presicion 6262 and she doesnt spool till like 5000 rpms! so i plan turning up the boost a bit.;)

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
ok cool. i just want to make sure i get all my ducks in a row. get parts ready, do some research then begin the build. sounds like a over haul pretty much of the internals. so there is absolutely no way to use stock internals cus they are all for high compression right? is there another alternative to turbo that i can make my car faster? no, im not talkin NOS. f*** that sh!t.

mal2000si

5+ Year Member
well, man, you could get the usual (intake, headers, cams, cam gears) and then get it tuned, and maybe get a higher compression pistons, head gasket, and head studs. and then go into your head and get valves springs and retainers from skunk2.

but you wouldnt make any impressive numbers with that honestly, it would still be a fun DD. i think the most ive ever seen is 240 out of a NA b16, so b18 will be a bit higher, but thats ALOT of money invested. one guy that had a b16 civic si (like mine) said he was only making 197 hp with intake, full exaust, header, valves, springs, retainers, and high compression pistons.

so turbo is the best way to go, itll just take awhile to get there, haha!

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depending on how healthy the motor is, yes you can boost on a stock ITR. But, you will need to have a good tuner, and good engine management.

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
alright cool guys. i really appreciate all this info.

bottom line is, NA is too expensive and doesnt put out as much HP as boost does. on the other hand, ill have to pretty much rebuild the block to lower the compression so then i can install the turbo charger. hmmm gotta think about this one. its a tuffy.

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
alright cool guys. i really appreciate all this info.

bottom line is, NA is too expensive and doesnt put out as much HP as boost does. on the other hand, ill have to pretty much rebuild the block to lower the compression so then i can install the turbo charger. hmmm gotta think about this one. its a tuffy.
Always is a tough choice. if you can, take a ride in a N/A B series honda, then go for a ride in a boosted B series honda.
I think that will make your mind up for you. Just please build it correctly or have it proffesionally built, it'll worth it. g.l.=)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
depending on how healthy the motor is, yes you can boost on a stock ITR. But, you will need to have a good tuner, and good engine management.
exactly. decide on a power goal and then you'll know if you can keep the motor stock or not. a lower boost setup on your stock b18c can easily get you 250whp. if you want to break into the 300's or more, you'll need to consider rebuilding the motor for lower compression