Turbo Jap Spec GSR vs SRT-4

Nexus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend has the new SRT-4 and thinks it's the best car in the world and no turboed honda's can beat it! i'm telling him if i was th throw a Jap spec with turbo i would spank him up and down the track.. he has a engine that comes with 12 pounds on it and i said with that engine with 8 pounds i would beat him...if i did 12 pounds like his car he would have to blow up his engine to compete =) i might be wrong but i'm 95% sure i'm RIGHT about this......

I just need some proof now :D anybody have links to someoen with 1/4 or dyno times of a jap spec GSR turboed? s**t if you know anything honda that can beat a SRT 4 post a link plz =) thx.......

SCREW DODGE!!!!! :headbang:

terceltyler

The Silver Bullet
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hell this is just loyalty to honda/acura but any tuboed honda/acura wud whoop his azz!

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i don't think you would own him....... if you turbo your factory stock gsr motor, you will make about 270hp or so after being really well tuned...... it may be close, but in his favor. how much power does the dodge have anyway? doesn't it have a 2.0L motor? to make the kind of power i think you're looking for, it would require a rebuild of your motor. at that point, you may as well build the motor in his car to keep the competition fair.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that dodge has a 2.4l motor with 215 hp and 245lb/ft of torque (rated) but it really makes a lot more than that (ive seen dynos of totally stock motors up at 240 whp). they run just about a 14.0. their achillies heel is the redline at 6200 rpm and they are pretty heavy at 2800lbs.

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2.4L?! damn...... american companies just don't know how to make power with small motors.... :lol:

if it runs a 14 flat, then a turbo gsr has a fighting chance...... now, a turbo b18c1 in a ek hatch would just flat-out destroy that car.

turboferio

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have pics and time slips of my 99 civic ex 1.6l sohc w/ turbo fully built running 12.4 @117 at seattle international raceway. i will eat that domestic b***h up. anytime

sti99civicsi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now how long do these guys and their damn SRT-4 NEONS think that the domestic engine turbo-charged like that is gonna last???
Those f**kin NEONS are gonna be layin in ditches all over the US in no time. Dodge had to up the engine to a 2.4L and boost it to keep up with imports. For $20,000.
I bought my 99 Civic Si for $8200 and if I put $11800 into it to match the price those s**t holes are goin for, there would be no competition.
Regardless of all the stats, bitches and moans, do they not realize that they are still driving a f**kin NEON??

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i think they (the srt) is ugly, and would never drive, and im going to throw the if word around so deal with it, a car for 10 grand(Si or something) with turbo, will give good comp to that car, and is half the price....thers a always a car faster than another car, and it all depends on what you do....would he beat iono, but geta evo, and then run stock and tear his ass up =)

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This will crack you up. I was at the track last month and there was a nice brand new yellow SRT and guess what it got paired up with? A Dodge Caravan. Mind you, this was a supercharged 2.5L caravan. And it beat the SRT by about .2 seconds. The neon was running about 14.8 or so, not that fast. The track is close to sea level and it was a cool night so it was either the driver or the car.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
driver. srt's are very very hard to launch (as is any (relatively) light fwd car with lots of torque and no lsd. a chip and an lsd in that car make a world of difference. routing 250+ lb/ft of wheel torque thru one front wheel is nearly impossible to do without tons of wheelspin.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
if the srt is 2.4L, maybe it should be running against a boosted prelude (2.2L, 2.3L) not a boosted teg (1.8L)

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by BadAssLil96EK
Tell me of one mod to a stock honda motor for under $400 that will take nearly a half second off of the quarter mile time?
if you take a stock 88-91 civic dx/lx with the stock d15b, and change the fuel injection from the dual point to multi point from the 88-91 civic ex/si, you will drop almost a full second off your quarter mile. The parts to do this conversion can be had for about $200 to $250 (and this is high, i hear of people doing it cheaper)

Originally posted by sti99civicsi
I bought my 99 Civic Si for $8200
salvage title? Theft recovery? Mad miles? body damage? I have a hard time believing one of those in good condition can be found for under 10k.

I hate neons too, and the domestic motor in the srt will most likely blow up sooner than a honda motor, but its still a fast car. This entire thread reminds me of the time i beat some really nice looking 5th gen and when we got to the next light he was like "you may have won but you still are drivin a piece of s**t!" :roll:

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sometimes I wish people could hang around at the shop here and see what cars have what problems. Let me tell you, the neons we get in are constantly blowing head gaskets, the alternator mounts are so badly designed that they will some times slip out of place, rest crooked and throw the belt. And theres not even any technical service bulletins on it! WTF?! The exhaust manifold loves to crack at the seams. And the automatic trannys? We sound them out for rebuilds on a constant basis. (this is the same engine that you're seeing in the 2.0L mini as well by the way). So if someone were to ask me if I was jealous of the SRT, I would have to say "I payed $5000 canadian for my EG, with 240,000 km on it and it will most likely outlast that SRT, and If I spend another $5000 (canadian) on a GSR swap and some bolt ons, I can offically spank an SRT for far less money (about 1/3 the price)- and get this- Normally Aspirated, and smaller displacement" Now maybe the new SRT is more reliable, but I highly doubt that after years of time given chances to fix problems on the original neons, that turbocharged neon is going to be so much more reliable.

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldnt look at things about how good one car is stock compared to another car, id look at how much i payed for that stock car. u can pay 20k for a dodge, and hook it up maybe drop another 10 then ud have spent about 30k when u coulda bought a civic for 6k and drop 10 into that and get the same performance. This is one of the main reasons the import scene has grown so much, effiecent ( <---Spelled right ?) performance.

theJDMone

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think it's kind of funny that American cars are getting supercharged/turbocharged and they're still slow. The only car I know of that's fast for it's breed with a s-charger is the 2003 SVT Mustang Cobra. Running a 12-flat w/ 390hp/390tq is excellent. Anyways, I saw a video of an SRT-4 (which is NON-NEON) beating a 2003 RSX at a stoplight. I hate Dodge's, but I am a big Mopar fan (of the older Mopar's).