Unknown Head Swap: Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

daltonshirley68

I have a 92 honda civic hatchback cx but the guy before me put a different engine in it. It's a jdm d15b block but idk what the head is. I had to replace the ignition module in the distributor on my car. I got one from autozone and it's not the right one so we got it rigged to work, but I want to find the right one. I can't find a stock one and none of the auto parts store have the right one. I think that's what's causing it to cut out when I stomp on the petal. Please help.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, Dalton.

I cleaned up your post a bit so everyone clearly understands your issue and offer the most helpful responses.

To my knowledge, your only available options with that issue are to either buy another distributor or source a functional module from a used distributor (junkyard) and swap yours out. I'd suggest parting more than one module out of a junkyard if you go that route in place of a used distributor. Otherwise, consider buying a used JDM distributor online. I personally found one on eBay sourced from a 30k miled Civic and its been working great for several years (maybe 3).

daltonshirley68

I have a d15b block with a mini swap head don't know what head I don't what distributor to get for it

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Which head are you using, Y8 or Y7? And what ECU are you using? Is it the ECU corresponding to the used head?

daltonshirley68

Idk what the head is or the ecu the guy that I bought it from didn't say none of that I just know the block is jdm because it say d15b which I was told if it dont have a number at the end of the number then it's a jdm

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe you'll need to loosen the ECU so you can see the indications on it and confirm what it belongs to. I think the Y7 and Y8 dizzys are the same. You can confirm that by looking up the part numbers. If they're the same, and you confirm the ECU corresponds with the Y7/Y8 then just order a Y7/Y8 dizzy.

daltonshirley68

Does that mean I have to take the ecu apart and I don't even know if it's a 1.5 or 1.6 and stuff like that I just want to get the dizzy replace so it stops cutting out when I stomp on it.its either because the part I replaced wasn't the right one and we have it rig or I got the gas pedal to tight

daltonshirley68

I think I got it fixed the stock module had a braket on it I just got to get some washers to make the nuts fit because they stick out to far

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Vtec*!

Look for Vtec solenoid to see if it's there. If everything looks good, get an LED light and wire it to the solenoid power. Find any ground. Go out and hit Vtec. If the light illuminates - voila! If not, either you didn't hook up that light properly, or Vtec is not engaging.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I merged your other thread (starting #14) into this one since they're related issues with your motor swap and head. I also retitled the thread so other members have a better idea of your general issues. Let me know if you prefer another title.

Status
Not open for further replies.