unknown squeaking noise when turning right.

desimunda

5+ Year Member
Hi folks,

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Car Spec:

99 Civic LX
5spd. Purely Stock.

My car makes squeaking noise when i turn the steering slightly or more to the right. I've no idea where the noise is coming from, but i'm assuming it's coming from the brakes / or steering assembly.

when i turn left, there is no noise. only happens when i turn right.

also, sometimes when i fall in to a ditch or hit a bump on the road...

not sure what it is.

additionally, my brakes make squeaking noise when i brake... i know it's common, but if it lasts for more than 2 - 3 months ! is that usual.

one more last question: is it advisable and possible to change the brake pads on my own ? how can i know how much my brakes have worn out?

Thanks for any help.

K.O.S_88

K.O.S
5+ Year Member
looks like you might need a new wheel bearing or cv axle and your brakes what ever makes noise is loose vibration makes noise have you checked for vibration clips on brakes they are easy to change if you know what you are doing

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
x2 on the wheel bearing / cv axle / hub assembly area. Lift the front end up and spin the wheel yourself and have someone turn the steering wheel at the same time to try to pin point the noise. Look for any tears in boots, leaking lube, etc.

Squealing brakes can be normal depending on what type of brake pads you have, how worn your rotors / pads are, etc. Tiny bit is nothing to worry about.

As for changing brake pads, it should take no more than 15 minutes.
1. Jack up the wheel you want to change the pad on
2. Remove wheel
3. Un-bolt lower 12mm sliding bolt on caliper
4. Swing caliper upwards
5. Remove pads
6. Lube up new pads on the ends and metal sliders on caliper mounting bracket
7. Install new pads
8. Re-install the 12mm sliding bolt on caliper just tighter than snug
9. Re-install wheel

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check to see if you're low on power steering fluid, you may be starving the pump.

desimunda

5+ Year Member
man... the axle thing scares me.. i got no money to spend on this car.

Thanks Blahman240 for the advice. I checked the steering fluid and it's just below max level. i had topped it off a few months ago.

this feb, i spent 1500 for new tires, new brakes, timing belt & coolant thing.... i'm assuming the mechanic jacked me as far as the brakes are concerned.

i'm not mechanically talented, but i love mechanics & cars...

Thanks amej8 for that guide, i'm going to try to find out what's wrong myself... at this point i don't trust any of those mechanic folks.. they live to rip off people like me

medorihb

5+ Year Member
the easiest way to determine if you need new brakes is to check the brake fluid reservoir it will tell you if you need to change your brakes by the level of brake fluid present. if it is low do not top it off. change your brakes and then check the level.

desimunda

5+ Year Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I changed the brakes and now the car is running fine.

but while changing the brakes, i ran in to trouble. :(

i broke one wheel bolt by about 1/4th of it's size.

i put the wheel back on with a new lug nut... seems to be strong enough... so basically i'm running on 3.75 bolts rather than 4..

my question is: How can I change that broken Bolt? How difficult is it? Can it be done by me or should i take it to the store?

Any suggestion is appreciated.. Thanks