urgent help!!! Brake fluid leaking

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so here is the deal..i was cleaning my rear pads. once all done, i put the wheel hub back on and test. once i started to rotate, i could hear some (minute) metal on mental touching. so i though i'd investigate. i could not tell s**t. so then i took off the wheel hub and thought i'd test the brakes, i pressed on the brake pedal and the pads extened outwards and then fuild started to squit. i was like oh s**t!!! anyhow, now i can't get the "thing" back in and without putting that back in, i cna't get the hub on. please help. attached are some pictures.

p.s. this is urgent. my car is still on jacks.
this is the part i am talking about

and just to give you an overall picture.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks like a blown wheel cylinder to me.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can i fix it myself or do i need to take it to a shop?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, to update you all. i've f**ked up my brakes. i am going to be taking it into the shop on monday. i was saving up the money for my DAT exam. s**t i hate this.

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wheel cylinder, $15. and did you activate the brakes with the drum off?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
crack the bleeded screw on the back of the wheel cylinder open and just push the wheel cylinder piston back in... its as simple as that... bno big deal, youll just need to rebleed your brakes..

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you have a pic of that screw? how much bleeding should i do?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bangin' HB said:
how do i activate teh brakes with teh drum off?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
786mine said:
do you have a pic of that screw? how much bleeding should i do?
no i dont, if you look on th aBACK side of your brakes... the heat shield im talking about, there is a little bolt looking thing.. kinda looks like a grease fitting. take the rubber cap (if there is one) off and use a 9mm ( i think) and open it. make sure you do this with someone else.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bangin' HB said:
do i need to replace teh wheel cylinder?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
slambed_civic said:
no i dont, if you look on th aBACK side of your brakes... the heat shield im talking about, there is a little bolt looking thing.. kinda looks like a grease fitting. take the rubber cap (if there is one) off and use a 9mm ( i think) and open it. make sure you do this with someone else.
let me post a picture of the back so that you can tell me exactly what i need to be doing.

p.s. do i need bleed the front as well?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
786mine said:
let me post a picture of the back so that you can tell me exactly what i need to be doing.

p.s. do i need bleed the front as well?
no you dont.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
which ones of these is it? and what do i do exactly?

silvertuner98

Banned
o wow that sucks. ive seen it done before tho and its a simple fix. its already been solved tho by another member. simply open the bleeder and then push the pistons back in. then bleed ur brakes. as long as the seal isnt screwed up u should be okay. and NO the boot that u see is NOT the seal. spray that down with brake clean and then put the drum back on and bleed the brakes then pump the pedal and see if anymore fluid comes out. check behind the dust boot as well. if it still leaks, then u can either replace it or do like my cheap ass sometimes does when money is tight and try to rebuild it

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
slambed_civic said:
the one in red
thanks man. and you said be sure to do it with someone, what if i don't have anyone?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
silvertuner98 said:
and NO the boot that u see is NOT the seal. check behind the dust boot as well. if it still leaks, then u can either replace it or do like my cheap ass sometimes does when money is tight and try to rebuild it
what boot are you talking about?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DO NOT hit the brakes when the drum is off, you will be pushing that piston back in..

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i worked on it all day.wasn't able to do it. i am going to be taking it into the shop.