Used A/C Compressor Installed, Won't Cool Unless Accelerating

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
I looked through search and couldn't really find anything that looks like my problem.

I bought this used A/C Compressor for my 99 CX since the old one locked up. I got it installed and they added 1 can of refrigerant. The place where they installed it, told me that it might take a few days for some pressure to build up (or be released, didn't understand well) inside the lines and it might take a few days.

When they showed me the meter (PSI?), it was on idle at a number 60 (again, PSI?) and when throttled it would lower to 40.

Has anyone had anything like this before? Was 1 can of refrigerant not enough or is the compressor or any other piece bad?

Also, when they changed the compressor they had to change 3 fuses, so something might have gone wrong in there.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I looked through search and couldn't really find anything that looks like my problem.

I bought this used A/C Compressor for my 99 CX since the old one locked up. I got it installed and they added 1 can of refrigerant. The place where they installed it, told me that it might take a few days for some pressure to build up (or be released, didn't understand well) inside the lines and it might take a few days.

When they showed me the meter (PSI?), it was on idle at a number 60 (again, PSI?) and when throttled it would lower to 40.

Has anyone had anything like this before? Was 1 can of refrigerant not enough or is the compressor or any other piece bad?

Also, when they changed the compressor they had to change 3 fuses, so something might have gone wrong in there.

Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Well i didnt have my compressor replaced but the pulley wheel locked up on me and i lost my ac and needed a new pulley. Ever since then my a/c works nice and cold at night and during mild days but on hot days and or sitting at idle it doesnt work, i checked it and its low on freon. Its also possible when they filled it they didnt close the line back off completely and you coulda lost some freon. They have refill kits at walmart for it so you could always try that, couldnt hurt, sorry if this isnt any better advice

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
Well i didnt have my compressor replaced but the pulley wheel locked up on me and i lost my ac and needed a new pulley. Ever since then my a/c works nice and cold at night and during mild days but on hot days and or sitting at idle it doesnt work, i checked it and its low on freon. Its also possible when they filled it they didnt close the line back off completely and you coulda lost come freon they have refill kits at walmart for it so you could always try that, couldnt hurt, sorry if this isnt any better advice
Have you refilled yours too see if it fixed it?

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
Reading about my problem on the net I can see the terms I needed to use. All they showed me was the low side, I didn't really pay attention to the high side. The low side, at idle, would sit at 60 PSI, but when the engine revved to about 3k rpm, it would go down to 40 PSI. Is this normal?

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reading about my problem on the net I can see the terms I needed to use. All they showed me was the low side, I didn't really pay attention to the high side. The low side, at idle, would sit at 60 PSI, but when the engine revved to about 3k rpm, it would go down to 40 PSI. Is this normal?
I couldnt tell ya if those numbers are normal but it is gonna change, cause you think about it the faster your motor revs the more power its gonna put to that wheel thus powering your a.c more. To answer your question tho, yes it did fix my problem, my a/c is so cold that i now have this faint white cloud that pours from some of my vents, nothing bad there i just think i may have a little too much freon in there now, lol I would think tho that the numbers would raise not drop when running at higher rpms. Dont quote me on that, i just know i had a similar problem that you did and the cheap refill kits they sell at wal mart fixed the job for me