valve stem seals. need help please

gboi25

My car started smoking a bit. I have a b16a in it. If any one can help leading me in the right direction on changeing my valve stem seals.

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you wanna change them without puling the head, you're gonna need specialty tools :/ when I was at Honda, we had 3 tools we used, one to pressurize the cylinder (so the valves wouldn't "fall in", one to compress the spring and remove the keepers and retainer, and one to remove/ replace the seals. It's only like an hour job, but, that's with the specialty stuff...

I know this probably wasn't much help, but at least you have am idea of what you're lookin at.

Sent from my craptastic metro pcs android using Tapatalk2 (I miss my "real" internet :(

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Typically you remove the head, the springs and retainers, drop the valves and pres them out. Reverse order to reassemble.

are you sure it's the seals and not your rings? What were the leak down and compression test results?

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Um as I recall you don't press out VALVE STEM SEALS. Now valve guides you press out. Just saying. I agree I should do some test first.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Maybe this was started in another thread but what makes you think because your car is "smoking a bit" it's the valve seals? That would be an odd first guess to go with I would think. Black smoke, white smoke? At start up, after the car is warm, both? What do your plugs look like? ... In my mind, and i'm not a super Honda tech or anything, but when I see smoke I like to start with the easy stuff first. Unless of course you've already narrowed your search and are certain the seals need changing. And if that's the case, do a whole top end tune up/up grade!

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Um as I recall you don't press out VALVE STEM SEALS. Now valve guides you press out. Just saying. I agree I should do some test first.
sorry, I don't change one without the other... My bad.

Bottom line is to test and diagnose before jumping to conclusions. More likely the rings then the seals in all honesty, but test and let us know.

gboi25

Thanks for the help. I'm new buddy told me it was valv stem seals. Its white smoke. mostly when I hit the gas. In first and Second. The car runs good tho.

gboi25

Thanks for the help. I'm new buddy told me it was valv stem seals. Its white smoke. mostly when I hit the gas. In first and Second. The car runs good tho.

gboi25

Alright this might be a silly question but what does it mean if my car is blowing white smoke. and could it be a fuel problem.

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Light Blue is oil
White is coolant
Black is gas
If its coolant you should smell sugary fumes
Do a compression test and take off ur oil cap and look for coolant mixed with oil. You could have a blown head gasket. How often do u have to put oil in ur car?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
White smoke = no bueno. I just did a head gasket on my Mazda and Acura this week. Not to fear though, it's not that bad to change. If you're doing the head gasket, do the valve seals for sure! You can buy a complete head gasket kit on the cheap which includes everything you need (including seals).

Sounds like yours isn't too bad yet though. My mazda blew a huge freakn cloud of white at start up! Now it's sitting pretty. If your valve seals are bad, you'll know right away when you take the valve cover off. Milky looking oil means water is getting into the cover. If there is no white milky stuff, the seals are more than likely ok, but you should change them anyway if you're doing a head gasket. Takes all of an hour (at most) to replace them once the head is off.

FYI, I don't think it's possible to change valve seals with out pulling the head anyway. I've never tried, but I don't see how it can be done. The valves would fall in unless you catch them some how with the piston or something. Complete waste of time to even try I would think. Just pull the head, change all the gaskets, rings, and seals and be done with it. It'll run like a champ!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
FYI, if you have an Oreilly's near by you can rent a valve spring compressor tool (or any tool they rent) and return it with in 48 hours to get your full money back. And if you need it longer, just bring it back before 48 is up, then re-rent it again on the spot! Gotta learn to save that hard earned money you know!

Also get a Honda crank pulley tool as well as a torque wrench if they have those. They should and you'll need them both. Might as well pick up oil and coolant while you're at it. Check your belts (including timing) and pick those up if it's been a while since you knew they were changed last. Those will not be included in your head kit. !

gboi25

Is it possible to change the rings also with the head off. I'm goin to start takin it apart this weekend and I bought all the belts including timing belt and water pump. I figure I should change them. Never done nothing like this before so I just wanna be as prepared as possible. I got a buddy who kinda knows what's up tho. W.ell see what happens

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's possible to change the rings by going underneath through the oil pan and unbolting the rods then pushing the piston out the topwhile the head is off, but thats a major repair and if your gonna do that you'll need to at least hone the cylinders and might as well change all the bearings while your in there so thats more of a complete rebuild type of deal. Don't just go pull the head off, make sure your head gasket is the problem. Are you loosing coolant? Is there oil mixed with your coolant? Have you done a compression test?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I myself would avoid doing anything from the block down unless it was absolutely needed. And if you do want to go that route, just pull the whole motor. The time you save with the motor out will be well worth it as opposed to trying to do it from underneath the car. I've done rod bearings from under the car, but had it needed any head work as well i'd have just pulled the whole thing.

Remember you'll need a valve spring compressor, torque wrench, and a honda crank pulley tool. I can't think of any other specialty tools you'll need. Good luck man! Take LOTS of pics so you know how things go back together and if you need help, post a pic of where you're stuck.

or wait.. Now that I think about, you may not need a special honda crank pulley tool. I did for my 94 acura, but my 94 civic pulley isn't the same so I dunno... You'll need to look at yours I guess to know for sure.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most likely not, it would have to get sucked into a vacuum leak or something somehow, not sure how you;d go about that. If your blowing WHITE SMOKE THEN YOUR BURNING COOLANT! So check if your losing coolant first. If it's blue your burning oil, if it only does it when your in vtec then thats normal depending on the amount of smoke. You need to check if your losing coolant first, if not then you need to compression test then leak down test the engine the engine