Valve stem seals or piston rings?

Dalton sheets

I have a 1996 civic with a d16y8
It had a blown head gasket when I got it. So I installed a Forsure good head, crack and warp free, but I did not install valve stem seals or a valve grind. (I know dumb decision)
Got it all together and it white smokes upon startup and hard acceleration. It gets to be less as it gets warmer too.
It's white smoke but I'm positive it's not from a water leak because 200 miles of driving and the coolant hasn't dropped a bit.

I did a compression test and I got 125 on all 4.

I'm really hoping I can make it stop with just seals but I need yalls help here to come to a conclusion.

The car starts and runs so darn good that's why I'm trying to avoid a bottom end build. But will if need be.

Ps it is defiantly not blue smoke and it doesn't smell sweet like coolant

Could it be a fuel issue or is that black smoke?

Hep me out here's guys, please? Lol

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
To much fuel is black smoke, burning coolant is white smoke, oil is bluish smoke.if you think it's the valve seals then try replacing them, they are like 20 bucks for all 16 and should take 2-4 hours to do. Pull valve cover and cam and remove spark plugs then feed some nylon rope into the combustion chamber so that it hold the valve up then remove the spring and keepers to install a new seal.

Dalton sheets

I know it's not coolant because the coolant level hasn't dropped a lick. But it is white smoke not blue not even light blue.

Dalton sheets

To much fuel is black smoke, burning coolant is white smoke, oil is bluish smoke.if you think it's the valve seals then try replacing them, they are like 20 bucks for all 16 and should take 2-4 hours to do. Pull valve cover and cam and remove spark plugs then feed some nylon rope into the combustion chamber so that it hold the valve up then remove the spring and keepers to install a new seal.
And your sertain that fuel couldn't cause white smoke? because I've heard it can create white smoke under certain conditions

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I know it's not coolant because the coolant level hasn't dropped a lick. But it is white smoke not blue not even light blue.
The color descriptions mc360 gave you are correct. One color will not be a different condition, it is exactly what is described.

white = water/coolant
blue = oil
black = rich fuel
clear/grey = normal condition (may vary depending on outside temperature and humidity)

Did you do the work yourself when the head was swapped? If so, did you check the cylinder block for warpage? This can only be done with a precision straightedge.

Take a closer look at the smoke next time, perhaps take a good high resolution video and post it up here for us to give you a second analysis. It may have a blue tint to the oil and your just not seeing it.

If it is blue and its valve stem seals then thats a easy fix. However you said the head had 0 warpage. Was it measured? Was it milled? If it was milled the head had to have been cleaned and the valve steam seals SHOULD have been replaced as the heat cleaning process would have damaged the seals.

And your certain that fuel couldn't cause white smoke? because I've heard it can create white smoke under certain conditions
Whoever told you that oil will make white smoke is wrong.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually valve seals dont take a crap unless the guides are worn.

Just replacing seals with worn guides will cause the new seals to leak as well. Its best to have them both changed.

Just because your coolant hasnt dropped doesnt mean you arent leaking coolant. White smoke is the obvious sign that you need to do the headgasket job again after having the head serviced.