Very high idle/rev problem

tward03

ok so i have had this problem going on for awhile with my 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 1.6l.

First problem is that when i drive my car and shut it off and then go to turn my car back on it starts to rev up to about 4000 RPM and and back down to about 2000 RPM and repeats this process for a few minutes. I have replaced the throttle position sensor, 02 sensor, ECU, and cleaned out my Idle air control valve. When i go to shut my car off when it starts reving up high i cant start it because it floods itself with gas. The check engine light DOES COME ON.

Second problem is when im driving my car tends to surge. Its not the distributor because that has been replaced as well as spark plugs. Im thinking all this is connected with the fuel system in some way. I am completely lost and do not know what to do. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thank You

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Since you said the CEL is on, check the code.

Have you cleaned your FITV? It's the same process as the IACV and is attached to the bottom of the throttle body. Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

tward03

very high idle/rev

I have not cleaned out the FITV. Its at the bottom of the throttle body? i will try that, and im going to see if i can get the code read or not. Any suggestions where the best place to have that done at is? i have checked for vaccume leaks and havent found any.

Thanks for the Reply