Video camera question.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey everyone, i figured this would be the best place to post this sense its photography.

i was wondering what i good quality starter videocamera that i can get is that could handle being on say, a suctioncup mount or a bar mount in the interior so that i can start playing around with video work so that i can do cool videos of car meets, cruises, twisties, and track days.

also if anyone knows and decent, free software for video editing thats pretty user friendly or even helps and hints that would be ballin.

THANKS GUYS!!

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump for all the photo/vid guys on here lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly, I would say just go to a photo/video store or even check out multiple Best Buy's and such and ask. This is what I recommend to everyone who asks me what kind of DSLR to buy. You don't know which one you like until you hold them and use them and find out more about them.

Doesn't seem like there's a lot of video people on here too...

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah as much as i hate to give into hype, sense im sitting board in class i started googling around and im looking at the GoPro HD2 motorsports package,

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-motorsports-edition/

i mean its 300 bucks but atleast it has all the junk i need in one package thoughts john?

and as far as holding them in my hand its more for mounted to the car in different places and such, cause my hands will be too bush elsewhere, (no homo)

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
GoPro... /thread.

I've had mine for almost a year now and use it allllll the time. Mainly for getting video from races. Very good camera. Gets amazing shots. You can get a lot of real cool shots. You can buy a bunch of different accessories for it to get some different angles and shots. It takes some real cool and high res pictures. The price isn't bad either for what you get out of it.

I have all my vids on my YouTube. The quality sucks here because Indont have proper editing software so I lose a ton of quality once it's finally uploaded to YouTube. But, even with the 960HD, the raw footage is amazing. The 1080 Hero2 looks to be a lot better. I'll eventually upgrade and get their 1080 Hero2 for work and play.
http://www.youtube.com/user/civicexracer

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
GoPro Hero2 would be a FANTASTIC choice if you want to shoot motorsport stuff. So many people use them.

I honestly didn't even think of it. I thought you wanted a video camera in general lol.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It depends. The suction cup mounts you want to use and such. Long continuous video recording should be done with a desiccated video camera, and short clips can be handled with dslr or video cameras. A popular car video camera is the go pro hd hero. Its small, easily mountable and records pretty nice for such a small package. Dslr's that record are all closely matched and the biggest differences are in the manual options in camera and noise. There's soo many options with video and they all have their ups and downs.

Hit up vimeo or YouTube and watch videos to see their output and find what you like. Then you can a simply make it work for you. Asking in a photo store gives tons of biased opinions and sometimes without any actual product use.

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome guys, thanks for the opinion on the GoPro, and child thanks for the POV.

Also speedy, just a quick question, with the case deal that comes to hold the camera is it waterproof?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a waterproof case for the go pro. Not sure if its in the standard kit but I know it exists. <- probably useless info lol

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah that link that i posted that shows the motorsports kit is:

•1 11MP HD HERO2 Camera
•1 Waterproof Housing (197′ / 60m)
•1 HD Skeleton Backdoor
•1 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
•1 USB Cable
•1 Suction Cup Mount
•1 J-Hook Buckle
•2 Curved Surface Adhesive Mounts
•3 Flat Surface Adhesive Mounts
•1 Three-Way Pivot Arm
•Assorted Mounting Hardware

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The Motorsports kit comes with 1 case for camera, but, it comes with 2 different backings. 1 backing has 2 slots in it for better sound pickup and is best for normal/general use. The other backing is completely closed(no slots) and is meant to be used for underwater video and also high speed(something like 70+ mph) footage(less wind noise).

So in the description you listed, the Skelton one they list would be the backing that's slotted, the waterproof one is the entirely enclosed backing.

The kit comes with everything you should need.

I can take pictures of mine if you'd like. But mines the older version, the newer version looks slightly different. Also there are different backings for the case if you buy their "backpak" which is an LCD screen you can attach for better focusing on a shot and playback.