Vtec gasket replaced!! Fixed really bad oil leak??

Lucid77

Ok, I've replace a few things in my 99 civic ex (distributor, large vtec gasket, etc) recently. I know I have a decent oil leak problem I've been keeping an eye on. (1 1/2 quarts every 1500 miles). I took it into a shop and they said vtec gasket (smaller top) and internal distributor leaking. Once we fix that then we can clean it up and see if the rear main seal is leaking. Well the oil is coming from top down and splashing all around on top of the transmission. Gasket between distributor is fine. But oil definitely coming somewhere around there. 3 days ago it started losing TONS of oil. All over driveway. Had to refill 3 quarts or so. I degreaser the engine and replaced the smaller vtec gasket and now it seems the leak has completely stopped!!??

Is it common for the vtec to dump so much oil?? The old gasket was really flat, but not broken.

This seems too good to be true. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently replaced the vtec gasket that goes against the block. About a week later I still noticed an oil leak.

So I took it out, cleaned it well and re-torqued. Still a minor leak. Finally I noticed it was the gasket for the vtec solenoid that sits on top. I believe it's referred to as the snowman gasket bc of its shape.

Well that stopped the leak in that area.

Come to find out both my main seals are leaking, determined by cleaning oil pan and observing daily. It was clear then, both sides of the pan had a stream running down then.

I would just keep monitoring daily for a week. If still dry then I'd say you're good. Mine took about three days before I could see the leak had made its way to the oil pan.