vtec might not be working....PLEASE HELP

ej8_st

So i have 00 civic ex with jdm 95 d15b vtec swap. I recently chipped my ecu and it threw code 22 so i was told to unplug my oil pressure switch by Phearable so that the code doesn't throw. Phearable said that the chipped ecu is supposed to jump the oil pressure switch itself. When I rev to 5500 rpm which is what i set vtec at, i hear nothing at all, even on my y8 i could hear a distinct engagement.
There are a couple things that I think is a possible reason for vtec failure:
My oil is a bit higher than normal level
I have a vacuum leak where my intake manifold meets my engine block causing unstable idle
i jumped the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure switch wire together.
vtec pressure switch is disconnected
ever since unplugging the switch i don't have any cel.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For one, why did you jump the wires together? Secondly, a properly tuned setup smooths out the vtec engagement sound. The distinct sound that is usually heard, is because there is a jump in power, meaning that below that point the engine was not optimized for performance.

I also believe the d15b was the one with the 3 stage vtec (unsure on this one and too lazy to search for it right now), so there's even less of a aggressive crossover as you run through the revs.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
So i have 00 civic ex with jdm 95 d15b vtec swap. I recently chipped my ecu and it threw code 22 so i was told to unplug my oil pressure switch by Phearable so that the code doesn't throw. Phearable said that the chipped ecu is supposed to jump the oil pressure switch itself. When I rev to 5500 rpm which is what i set vtec at, i hear nothing at all, even on my y8 i could hear a distinct engagement.
There are a couple things that I think is a possible reason for vtec failure:
My oil is a bit higher than normal level
I have a vacuum leak where my intake manifold meets my engine block causing unstable idle
i jumped the vtec solenoid and vtec pressure switch wire together.
vtec pressure switch is disconnected
ever since unplugging the switch i don't have any cel.
I am only telling you this so that you don't keep doing it. A moderator is going to eventually tell you, but seriously. Stop reposting the same question, all it does is scatter information and helps neither you or anyone else because people are going to ignore you thus you will never be answered and anyone viewing the thread to get direction or help in the same situation wont get any either. Go do some research. Google. Read. Then come back and update the appropriate thread, provide a detailed description, and close the rest. Most of us can help you but don't expect to be spoon-fed, if you run into any difficulty at a technical standpoint after doing the research anyone will be glad to help in order to provide more knowledge for the online community. I also suggest you search on this site since this has been covered more times than anyone can count. quick tip *in most set ups the vtec solenoid function is bypassed and is sometimes rendered useless. this occurs when you take it to a not so good tuner that is unfamiliar with the system. This is why some set ups require a manual vtec engagement involving an interior switch for you to activate at a desired moment. If you have the money/time you can get a respected tuner to have your ecu use the vtec solenoid properly or have an interior vtec toggle switch that will automatically engage at certain/desired time/rpm* Find out what your exact problem is, do research, then update when you run into knowledge that can help the community. whether it is a statement or a question.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
For one, why did you jump the wires together? Secondly, a properly tuned setup smooths out the vtec engagement sound. The distinct sound that is usually heard, is because there is a jump in power, meaning that below that point the engine was not optimized for performance.

I also believe the d15b was the one with the 3 stage vtec (unsure on this one and too lazy to search for it right now), so there's even less of a aggressive crossover as you run through the revs.
Correct, when used properly by a tuner it can be evened out and you will not hear it as aggressive as before but the performance is still there.

ej8_st

the 3 stage d15b is the newer one. i have the 95 d15b with the traditional vtec.

ej8_st

I am only telling you this so that you don't keep doing it. A moderator is going to eventually tell you, but seriously. Stop reposting the same question, all it does is scatter information and helps neither you or anyone else because people are going to ignore you thus you will never be answered and anyone viewing the thread to get direction or help in the same situation wont get any either. Go do some research. Google. Read. Then come back and update the appropriate thread, provide a detailed description, and close the rest. Most of us can help you but don't expect to be spoon-fed, if you run into any difficulty at a technical standpoint after doing the research anyone will be glad to help in order to provide more knowledge for the online community. I also suggest you search on this site since this has been covered more times than anyone can count. quick tip *in most set ups the vtec solenoid function is bypassed and is sometimes rendered useless. this occurs when you take it to a not so good tuner that is unfamiliar with the system. This is why some set ups require a manual vtec engagement involving an interior switch for you to activate at a desired moment. If you have the money/time you can get a respected tuner to have your ecu use the vtec solenoid properly or have an interior vtec toggle switch that will automatically engage at certain/desired time/rpm* Find out what your exact problem is, do research, then update when you run into knowledge that can help the community. whether it is a statement or a question.
i do a crap load of research. pretty much all of my questions aren't repeated, i just post a lot man i'm just trying to learn for any problems that i come across. Phearable is a very respectable tuner.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
i do a crap load of research. pretty much all of my questions aren't repeated, i just post a lot man i'm just trying to learn for any problems that i come across. Phearable is a very respectable tuner.
Im not questioning your research but the issue stands, you didn't provide enough of a description to know and the only reason i say you should use one post is because you have a set of problems that are causing 1 bigger problem. Which means that what i am trying to imply is that its easier and more efficient to contain helpful information under a large spectrum rather then separate ones in order to both help you and anyone else viewing the thread; which is what a forum is for. Again, im not questioning Phearable's work, yes he is good with "tuning" and creating reputable basemaps for popular and specific swaps that have been done time and time again but there is only so much that you can do without the car in front of you; Granted they do well without a vehicle there but there are always going to be rough spots that cannot be covered unless the vehicle is being tuned in real-time by a professional tuner at a carefully monitored dyno with all your engine and ecu readings being monitored and controlled by specific tuning software. Noticeable rough spots for your chipped ecu are the vtec solenoid pressure and intake manifold pressure.