VTEC Solenoid works but does not engage.

MP1975

Hi All ,

My VTEC solenoid clicks which according to you tube and what I've read on the net means it works but yet it has never engaged. My RPM's never go above the low 4000's ? So I know it can't be engaging. Th eoil level is fine, car leaks no fluids. Where do I go next ? I have cleaned the above screen but have not cleaned the screen to the lower part.

Any help is very much appreciated and needed. I am also no mechanic so the simplier the explanation the better lol.
Thanks,
MP.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you know when vtec is supposed to engage?

MP1975

If I remember correctly about 5800 rpm's....Much Higher then I even seen, Only have the car 5 months and learning.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, on the majority of the sohc vtec engines, that is the proper vtec crossover point (vtec-e and the rare 3 stage vtec motors are the exception). So if you don't rev that high, the solenoid will not need to engage. Simple as that.

MP1975

That's my point no matter how high I try to get the RPM's it never goes above maybe low 4000's , right around 4000 anyway. That's what originally made me test the Solenoid.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Your car should be able to rev past that even without vtec engaging. Why did you think it was the VTEC solenoid? Was is throwing that code?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not guessing you might have an automatic and in D. If you're not throwing a CEL, you shouldn't really have a problem going up in the revs

MP1975

The car has no codes and I know the CEL bulb is working it comes on when I start the car.

When I first got the car and did some research about it I read several places when if your VTEC is not working you don't go above a certain RPM etc etc that's what led me in that direction. Now your telling me it should rev past that no matter what. I'm no mechanic learning out of necessity.

Yes, Automatic in D .

Update, I took the solenoid completely off and the screen was clogged big time. The gasket holding the screen was also brittle and came out in pieces. Just finished replacing gasket and screen took it for a ride but could not go fast enough to get to 5800 rpm. I did put the car in neutral and get it to red line. I never tried that with the gasket. And since you can't really hear it engage still not sure. Monday I will do highway driving and see if there is any difference.

Anything else I can look for / check ?

Thanks much for the help.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
It wont engage revving it in neutral.

So you're now saying the car revs past 4k rpm? I'm lost as to what the issue currently is.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now things are making sense.

Normally driving a d series automatic, the ECU will have you shifting a proper rpm for fuel economy, even with the pedal to the floor. DO NOT neutral bomb the car ( rev in neutral really high and then slam the car into D). If you're trying to take the car up in the rev range, you'll have to through the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, gears yourself. Hearing vtec on a single cam is pretty tough since it isn't very audible, but you can usually tell when you're listening for it.

MP1975

I was on side streets and going 60 - 65 ish and no the car did not rev past 4000. It only rev'd past 4000 when I was in N which I won't do again. I can't get teh car to go fast enough on the streets to make it rev so high. Not that I know I can anyway.

As Child suggested I will try and listen or feel for a difference when I can go highway driving.

Open to any suggestions. But if the filter plays a factor I should have some change because mine was very bad.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I would look into your fuel filter, there is another thread somewhere where a dude was only getting to a certain rpm because his filter was clogged and not allowing the car to make enough power to a certain point.

I really do think the issue lies somewhere in the maintenance area, be it fuel/ignition/timing etc.

I would also say your catalytic converter could be clogged, but most people can smell it when it is getting red hot under your car and there is a ton of hesitation then getting into the throttle.

In either case, it is a good idea for you to clean that filter and replace that oring/gasket thing on your vtec solenoid for good measure.

MP1975

I would look into your fuel filter, there is another thread somewhere where a dude was only getting to a certain rpm because his filter was clogged and not allowing the car to make enough power to a certain point.

I just gave her a full tune up, maybe 3 months ago, wires/plugs/rotor/cap/air n fuel filter. My work car and money being tight need to get the best MPG as possible.

I really do think the issue lies somewhere in the maintenance area, be it fuel/ignition/timing etc.

I "THINK" I would feel the timing being off ? You can hardly tell the car is on idles right below 1000.
Don't take this the wrong way LOL But for my sake I hope your wrong. Money is tight.

I would also say your catalytic converter could be clogged, but most people can smell it when it is getting red hot under your car and there is a ton of hesitation then getting into the throttle.

Happened to me as a kid in a 79 T-Bird, rotten eggs.

In either case, it is a good idea for you to clean that filter and replace that oring/gasket thing on your vtec solenoid for good measure.

Did this and crossing my fingers it helps. I'll know Monday I've had this car close to 100 the car drives and runs fine last tank full I got 36mpg...Trying to hit 40. After this comes to some conclusion going to clean the IAC. Again your help is much appreciated.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Wait, so you're saying you can't get the car past 4k while driving in D. Does it go past 4k if you keep it in 1st or 2nd? When you say you can't get it going fast enough to be in a higher rpm while driving on the highway in "Drive" will it not kick down into a lower gear if you punch the throttle?

If you went outside right now, put it in 1st and smashed the throttle will it rev past 4k?

MP1975

No , what usually happens is I punch the gas it goes to about 25 / 30 mph revs to right under 3000 then the revs go down and , I'm assuming, going into second gear. I have never tried it on the highway yet.

But if I understood Child correctly the D series needs to go thru 1-3 gears to get to the higher revs anyway ?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
No, if you gun it in drive it should kick down to a lower gear and rev well into 6k. If it is floored it should take it damn near redline before shifting. By the way you describe it, you floor at and around 3k it starts losing power and won't go any higher, like something is holding it back.

Check the cat, if it is bad enough it should be glowing after driving it for ahile (not how I recommend checking it, unbolt it and look in it), then check fuel pressure. You may have changed the filter recently, but that doesn't mean it has the proper fuel pressure.

MP1975

I'm going to try flooring it because I cannot honestly say I FLOORED IT probably more like a halfway thing.

Don't think it's the cat I have felt under the console while driving long distances and have never had the rotten egg smell. But I will check it as you suggest.

Off to you tube to see how to check fuel pressure. Never did it before. I just hope I floor it later in 1st and it red lines. Again...your help is invaluable.

UPDATED : Just totally floored it climbed right into the red in about 3 jumps.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATED : Just totally floored it climbed right into the red in about 3 jumps.
Smh. This guy right here.

That's exactly why I mentioned manually going through gears so you could actually go up the rev range. 1st gear won't have you breaking the law just to check your vtec.

MP1975

Honestly lol What I got out of what you wrote was to let it gradually shift gears and I needed to go thru 1 - 3 lol. Not a car person - gimme a bass or a set of drums. But I'm learning.

What is SMH ?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get you. I may not write so clear on here, a lot is lost online when trying to communicate.

What I meant was, start in 1st, accelerate and see if there is anything stopping you from going to redline. That would cover the rpm issue. Then, whenever trying you're trying to get up to vtec it's much more simple to drop a gear yourself, into 3rd, 2nd, or 1st (which ever is applicable for the speed of course) rather than just flooring the car in D and waiting for the ECU to drop gears for you (which is the same exact thing, but without waiting for the ECU).
Driving under light throttle, there's no way you'll rev high enough for vtec because it is an economy engine and the ECU will make a proper gear change for maximum economy based on your throttle %.

Smh= shaking my head. No automatic car should rev all the way to redline or near it really with light or moderate throttle.