Vtech halfway working D16-93 ex

086head

Registered VIP
The Vtech on my D16z6 is working only half the time on my 93 ex coupe. automatic tranny. Lets say I take a cruise Sunday and im at about 60 on the freeway and punch it my vtech will kick in great. I can feel it, hear it, and see it on my speedometer :redcar:. Then when Monday rolls around and im cruising 60 and punch it...theres no vtech. This is seriously starting to give me a headache :angryfire. I cant pull codes off the computer thanks to some home done wiring by the last owner and some sharpy coloring. I have change the VSS sensor and everything is hooked up and ready to go. Its just that its only working when it wants to. help?

91RaceCar

Yeah, your camshaft sensor sounds shotty. Might need replacing. For good measure, take the valve cover off and check out your cams and rockers and make sure that they aren't having a problem. Other than that, it's electrical... lame i know.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Vtec, not vtech the phone company, will not work properly with a CEL given the sudden 5 thousand post on this I think this is going in the Sig.

086head

Registered VIP
I'll check out the cam sensor. Frodo, the only reason i've made this thread asking for help with my Vtec (thanks) is the simple fact that the last owner did the swap and he took alot of short cuts on running wiring so I cant pull codes and even if it gave off codes, thanks to the help of a black sharpy almost everything but the brights light and turn signals on the cluster are colored in. I've been putting a list together of anything I can find on what could be causing it to work half ass. I'll be cutting into the wires this weekend because alot of it is bad: relays, grounds, sensors..the works

086head

Registered VIP
As for lifters and rocker arms I have another D16z6 motor I want to start pulling off of but ive noticed the block number is different so im iffy if its a slightly newer D16z6 or a slightly older one. SOHC regardless though.

EG2 LX

just go buy a B16 and start all over=) D series cant get out of there own way and theres not much of a vtec "pull" with a single cam. ive owned both a single cam, and currently a 93 civic with a B16A SiR2. Now the B16 vtec really does pull hard! DOHC>SOHC

hahah im gonna get so much grief for this comment! lmao but for real just buy a B16.

khmernese

vtech is also a toy maker. but on topic, your vtec should be fine. your car is an ex so it oem wired on the harness. by no means he should have messed with it. if anything, you may have gotten use to it and dont realize it. it happens. same with my b16. sometimes you might just need a tune up. plus your car is nearly 20 years old. so majority of your standards sensor will probably need replacing

086head

Registered VIP
The body has over 350,000 miles on it. The car originaly had a D15 in it and at one point someone had done the swap, after the swap was done on it, it still had the p08 ecu. They cut the cadilac converter off and the 02 sensor isnt even hooked up. When I got the car I got the right ecu and hooked up my 02 sensor. But when I hooked the 02 sensor up every time the tranny changed gears it bogged down and wanted to die, so im leaving it unplugged because it just runs better without it. As for the DOHC it would be orgasmic to have a B model but I dont have the money for that right now. I use to have a 2.3L quad 4 DOHC and ever since then i've been in love with 4 cylinder DOHCs