want to retrofit a full sized parallel flow condenser into r12 civic

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i have an r12 civic 92 with new compressor and expansion valve and evaporator. its been getting up near 105F in GA and my car is black. even when i drive 60mph i can only get 50 out of the vents after driving for an hour. humidity is like 80% around here.

what i want to know is CAN it be done??

i have looked into using an 01-05civic condenser, integra condenser, crv condenser, prelude, older civic, etc. basically having to use other lines and then getting a newer parallel flow condenser in that style.

Also i have looked into just doing a generic parallel flow condenser, but i will have to remake the high side compressor hose, not that big of a deal. i can take it somewhere and get them to reuse the compressor side and remake the hose with the other end fittings needed. but the biggest problem is always the drier to condenser metal line. there is nothing i can do but cut it and weld it to the condenser end i need.

thoughts were to get the 01-05 civic high pressure hose, the condenser, and then find a drier and keep the line going to the condenser and bend it as needed and cut the second line and splice it into the line that come from the evaporator to the drier.

any thoughts?

also, the pressure switch for out cars is on the condenser..... B.S. man

sohcoupe

I've been thinking about a similar setup, these half-size condensers really don't cut it.. If I were to do it, I'd cut the drier line at the frame rail and have a -6AN end brazed onto the end. Then you could use Aeroquip A/C Fittings and Hose to hook everything up. Hope this helps.

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
would then have to worry about the pressure switch... could you put that in the high size hose. anywhere in the high side should work right?

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so, i got the drier line to condenser of another car, and i also discovered that the power steering rack of a 95 has a high pressure hose with a pressure switch VERY similar to the pressure switch on the a/c condenser.

so, i plan to either weld, or use a swagelok fitting to connect the cut drier-to-condenser hose to the cut power steering connector, and then have a new hose with universal o-ring fitting crimped on at a place in macon GA.

then i will need a high pressure lind to do the same with the compressor to condenser hose, will just need to change the end to a #8 fitting with high side valve

Rountreesj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go the condenser in, and fan wired up and mounted. wednesday going to have hoses made. then vacuum and charge. :D

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you ever get the hoses made and the system chrged? If so, how does it work? I'm in North Texas, ao I know how important A/C is in the summer! (My ride's been converted to R134, but never really worked well. About readdy to just pull all the components from a working stock R134 system and just replace ALL the shiz!)