want to turbo my 2002 honda civic ex

3ric101

i am willing to spend $1500 for a turbo kit but i dont know any good brands is gods speed, turbonetics any advice??

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd piece together my own kit. You might even have some money left over if you friend cheap quality parts. Just gotta be patient and know what you need.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
$1500 isnt going to get you far.

Just get an intake header and exhaust.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$1500 may get you a budget self-assembled kit for the d17 but the ancillary items (rebuilt turbo, hoses, wiring, etc...) and tune will break that budget quick.

I'd just spend the money on I/H/E to begin with.

a solid turbo build on average hits around the $3-4K range or at least it has for me in the last 4 builds. all at around 80k miles boosted with no issues.

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
dude i have been putting my turbo kit toughter and i have only spent 320 bucks and all i need now is a fuel pump boost gauge oil lines and tune.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would say 2-2500 is a decent build. Right now I have basically every part for my turbo and I have spent about 2800, but there were a few part that I could have saved on like my ramhorn I paid 650$ for when I could have just bought a cast mani for 150. Build it yourself for sure, any kit you find for 1500 won't have all parts unless its used then it might. Also if you buy a eBay kit be prepaired to modify just about every part of the kit to fit.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
$1500 may get you a budget self-assembled kit for the d17 but the ancillary items (rebuilt turbo, hoses, wiring, etc...) and tune will break that budget quick.

a solid turbo build on average hits around the $3-4K range or at least it has for me in the last 4 builds. all at around 80k miles boosted with no issues.
$4000?? I think OP just wants a beginners set up lol..

When I boosted my EK I only spent $1300 WITH dyno tune. I used an eBay kit and it worked flawlessly.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
My turbo is more than your budget. Ok tip 1 READ READ READ. Tip 2 realize that on a cheap budget will have more probkems.. Tip 3 Read some more.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
in my opinion when it comes to boost theres things that are really worth spending the money on and then theres things that wouldnt matter if it were ebay or not... read reviews and s**t dont rush

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
in my opinion when it comes to boost theres things that are really worth spending the money on and then theres things that wouldnt matter if it were ebay or not... read reviews and s*** dont rush
This. For example, cheap ebay manifold. It's fine IF it's iron cast. but I'd stay away from stainless. Turbo, I would get a well known brand. Tuning - get it professionally done.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
$4000?? I think OP just wants a beginners set up lol..

When I boosted my EK I only spent $1300 WITH dyno tune. I used an eBay kit and it worked flawlessly.
Understood... that's why it said "a solid build" lol

budget done right can last but is very limited... if your goal is 350-400whp, a $1500 build is not going to do it... if your goal is to pick up 50-60 whp, then you're in the right game.

read the entire sticky section in forced induction and then start junkyard searching... got my first 3 turbos out of the yard... DSMs, Volvos and Saabs are your friend :D

95Civic Dx

Registered VIP
You can buy name brand parts cheap that are used, For example i bout my 2g elipse turbo for 200 but it included a d series turbo header, Eclipse B.O.V, all piping fittings and intercooler, and the downpipe. I bought 500cc dsm injectors a restior box already wired with pigtales to a obd2 harness for my car for $120. My buddy game me a sunpro oil pressure gauge for free. Just be patient when buying and dont rush into things i have been waiting for 3 months now and still waiting for the rest of my parts to go on sale on cl lol.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ the million dollar question.

this really determines if your goals are reachable on that budget.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1500 is just about right for a good reliable kit. Its about the range that people who I've helped ended up spending to just be boosted. No crazy oversized turbo or anything but a nice t3t4 size. Like I said you just have to know what is needed, not waste money on useless stuff, and have a good tune to cap it off.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

$3-4k for JUST your turbo setup is pretty insane. I'd hope you're making more than 400whp with that setup, otherwise you're wasting a lot of money. I made 310whp on a $1000 setup, dyno tuned, and it was daily driven on 91 octane pump gas. Car was perfectly fine for more than 10k miles, until I sold it. It's a matter of what products you buy, what direction you go (retaining a/c and p/s, top mount, ramhorn etc.), and of course, maintenance and care!

boostedjd

I have a big 16g tdo5 turbo by goodspeed and have had good luck runnin 15 pounds..def good if ur on a budget only paid 300 for it new

3ric101

i went with a trendstone turbo kit that was $1860 but it did not include the fuel management system or a bov!! i still need a sc300 hondata, 550 injectors, forged rods and pistons

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
i went with a trendstone turbo kit that was $1860 but it did not include the fuel management system or a bov!! i still need a sc300 hondata, 550 injectors, forged rods and pistons
My NSR ramhorn cost me $280
tial wastegate $230
intercooler and piping $free
downpipe 3" vband $180
oil lines + sandwhich plate $80
presicion 5858sp $899.99

all quality parts and pieced together by yours trully for a granf total of $1670 and nothing is ebay besides intercooler which doesnt really make a whole difference.
For your goal just get some dsm injectors and a resistor box. I dont think you would max those out with the setup you have. Also if you try to boost more than 11 psi you'll need a better map sensor. Lightningmotorsports has walbro for $89 shipped. good luck with build looks good hope we see some dyno numbers soon