Wanting my 97 civic DX coupe to have 200hp or close to it for $2000 and be reliable

jayram1408

I got a 1997 Honda Civic DX 2 door coupe fully loaded from a friend who wrecked the front end for $500. I got the front straightened out for the most part. Its my daily driver (I don't drive much LOL). I want to get it close to 200HP for under $2000. I am a ASE certified Tech and can do all the work myself but I am used to fixing regular cars and don't really mess around too much with high performance applications. I understand what can be done but I am looking for some folks with experience so i don't go wasting money on my stock 150k stock 1.6L drive train. I am sure I will be swapping motor, trans and maybe some suspension and electrical. I would like to know whats a good motor for this to build up? I would like to turbo it and my budget I realize may need to increase but that's the goal I am shooting for. So I am open to suggestions?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Two options

1) boost the d16, it can handle 200whp for a long time if you don't smash on it 10 ten times every single day

2) You're looking at like 1100-1400ish for an LS/B20 swap, which doesn't leave much money to boost, but a 14b setup and some good shopping and you might be able to do it for another 1100-1200. How good are your fab skills?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just boost the d series, i boosted my d16y5 at 175,xxx and it lasted almost 2 years before my car was rear ended with 210,xxx miles. if you piece a turbo kit together you can get some great deals off ebay/craigslist on used or new parts, i wouldnt cheap out on the turbo, blow off valve or wastegate. it can be done for $2,000 but it will take time, also dont forget you will need a chipped ecu, injectors and a tune which do not come in any turbo kit.

Skylar Hale

It is possible Jay I suggest giving Abel Racing a call I have basically the same setup your looking for! They may not be local to you (Midwest City, Oklahoma) but they can give you some pointers on what you will need! Was able to boost my stock 94 honda civic d16 to 220hp in about 2 weeks. What will get you on price is if you cannot install it yourself and are needing some assistance on that, I have heard of people charging $2,000+ just to install.

Good luck!

http://www.abelracing.com/