Was told I need a new engine from overheat, is this correct or am I being tricked?

kamnamurt

I drive a 1997 Civic LX that overheated during Hurricane Sandy, I was not paying attention to my gauges, I was trying to go 60 but my car only went 40, I thought it was because of my leaking exhaust manifold, I wasn't thinking straight as I focused on getting home since the hurricane was going to be in full swing in a couple hours. This went on for about 4 minutes and the car stopped working. Turns out to be a leaking radiator hose and now the car works very hard to turn on and half the time it sounds like the engine seized, when it does turn on it dies very quickly, sounds like its losing air and shuts off.

We took a quick look and all the spark plugs were melted into the spark plug wire, which took a very long time to yank out. The spark plugs all smelled like strong gasoline mixed with something burnt.

Mechanic one told me I need a new engine since there can be problems that extend beyond headgasket + shaving head, where it will be smarter and cost efficient to swap the engine, used d16y7 100k engine=600 dollars + 400 in labor + 100 in various parts = 1100

Mechanic two tells me that I only need a headgasket + shaving head and my problems will be resolved and civics are tough cars, 100 in parts+ 60 shave head+ 250 labor= 410

I do not know much about cars, I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me some good insight on which avenue to go. I hope you guys can help me out, I am pretty desperate right now.

Forgot to mention that I tried to do a quick fix by replacing the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and it is in the same state.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like you roasted that mother f**ker. just buy a new motor

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Would probably be safer to go with the used engine. If they get that head gasket on and the head decked and run into any more problems you will be paying even more labor and parts if something else ends up being wrong. If you want to chance it and do the head job its up to you but thats not a ton of difference in price for another engine.

kamnamurt

Forgot to mention that I tried to do a quick fix by replacing the valve cover gasket, new spark plugs and spark plug wires, and it is in the same state.