Water going inside my cx!

arturoe

5+ Year Member
Well I Just Bought My Car About A Month Ago, Today It Rained For The First Time Since I Bought My Car. I Checked The Back And I Noticed Water In There. It Seems Like Water Is Going Through The Back Tail Lights From Both Of Them. How Could I Stop This. I Tighten Up The Screws From The Lights But For Some Reason Water Still Goes In There. I Don't Know If It's Missing Some Gaskets Or Something. Can Anyone Help.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its most likely the weather stripping around the hatch, or the window seal.

arturoe

5+ Year Member
Yeah Is There Any weather stripping or Anything Like That, That Usually Goes Around The Car Tail Lights.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok, stop typing like that.

arturoe

5+ Year Member
okay i'll stop typing like that, it's just i'm getting a lil alcohol in my system you know. But back to my question is there a strip that goes around the tail light, because i was thinking of putting sylicone there to cover some open spaces from the taillight.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I beleive there is, but I'm sure its not from around the tails.

arturoe

5+ Year Member
well i think it is, because i closed up the hatch, then pured water on the top of the hatch when it caught up to the taillight i opened the hatch and water was going through the ouside to the inside of my car from the top of the tail light. hopefully you understand me. i don't know if there was a gasket on the tail light that my car doesn't have.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There are "taillight gaskets" that should go between your taillights and the body of the car. The hatches might be prone to water (and even esdiment) being tossed into the hatch area because if you remove the taillights you'll be able to see straight to the ground and the rear of your rear tire. So while driving water gets tossed that direction and it splashes right into the hatch area.

Anyway though, my understanding is the hatch and trunk weather seals don't seem to go bad randomly (as in, without damage done some other way) often. So check your taillights seals first. They should be kind of firm, but not really hard... kind of foamy.

A leaktest would be a good idea before you start fixing things hoping you happen to find the cause.

Also, remove your spare and look underneath it. There should be a cardboard circle in the bottom of your hatch space. Remove it and it will allow the water to drain.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
arturoe said:
well i think it is, because i closed up the hatch, then pured water on the top of the hatch when it caught up to the taillight i opened the hatch and water was going through the ouside to the inside of my car from the top of the tail light. hopefully you understand me. i don't know if there was a gasket on the tail light that my car doesn't have.
How to test for a leak

Dry the car inside. Get a friend. Get a cup.

One of you get in the car with a flashlight so you can pinpoint the leak as soon as it starts.

Okay, now the person outside pours water from the cup at the lowest suspected point for the source of the leak.

The person inside says if they see a leak. If they don't, start in another place. Go higher as you continue to test (ie, do one spot, watch, no result, get more water, pour higher, look, no result, get more water, pour higher, no result, get more water, etc).

You can pinpoint the area this way.

For example, if you pour water on the top of the hatch and it leaks into the car you know the leak on the outside is from top of the hatch (the point the water was poured) or lower. If you pour water on the taillight and it leaks into the car you know the leak on the outside is from the taillight down.

If you pour water on the top of the hatch and it leaks, and then pour on the taillight but it doesn't leak, you know the leak is below the top of the hatch, but above the taillight, so you've narrowed the source of the leak. =)

arturoe

5+ Year Member
there we go, yeah i think that's the problem ^^, i don't think i have the tailight gasket. where can i buy some. also if i buy new lights woudl the taillight gasket come with it so i won't have to buy some.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
arturoe said:
there we go, yeah i think that's the problem ^^, i don't think i have the tailight gasket. where can i buy some. also if i buy new lights woudl the taillight gasket come with it so i won't have to buy some.
The gaskets are seperate (aftermaket lights will almost definately not have them included). Honda sells them and they shoudl be pretty cheap.

Do the leak test I posted right before your last post though (I posted twice) so that you don't fix something that wasn't broken.

The gaskets should be black btw.

arturoe

5+ Year Member
so i just need to go to a honda dealer and they should be there. What are they called again is it tail light gasket.

arturoe

5+ Year Member
well i saw the gasket, but it only covers the inside of the tail light. I noticed the water coming in from the top of the headlight. Can anyone help me on this. because i noticed in the front lights there's like this rubber strip that i guess protects it from water seeking in. I don't think there's a strip for my taillights. Any ideas of how to get fixed.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
arturoe said:
well i saw the gasket, but it only covers the inside of the tail light. I noticed the water coming in from the top of the headlight. Can anyone help me on this. because i noticed in the front lights there's like this rubber strip that i guess protects it from water seeking in. I don't think there's a strip for my taillights. Any ideas of how to get fixed.
Before you buy anything do the leak test I suggested.

The holes for the taillights are only behind the taillights and the gaskets completely surround those holes. So if there is water coming in from the taillights (NOT going into the space above the taillights - that's supposed to happen) then you need to try new gaskets.