Water Leak In Passenger Footwell...Help!

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Alright Guys,

Ive had a water leak in the passenger footwell of my Civic for some time now and cant seem to see where it is coming from.

Ill be selling this car soon so i need to get it sorted.

Ive heard stories of leaks being caused by the tail lights and vents behind the front headlights. Personally i think it could be due to something esle.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading :!:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Do you have a moonroof? The front drain runs down the right side of the car through the A-pillar (I think it's the same with RHD and LHD cars... migth be wrong).

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sean Gibson said:
Yeh i have sunroof, where do the drain pipes run along so i can check them?
I just told you. At least on the LHD cars they run down the right, or passenger side a-pillar. Your car is LHD, correct? So then it might be the left or right a-pillar. It runs from the corner of the front of the moonroof down the a-pillar. I don't know how to get to it and have never heard of the front drains getting plugged up.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I found this on a consumer report guide for honda civics

Water leak: Water leaks onto the front floor (either or both sides) due to insufficient sealer on body seams. (1996-97)

That may be your problem your car looks like a 96 98

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think his is a '98 (one of his old posts said that). He might want to call his local dealership and check for any recalls or updates that Honda might have out for his VIN.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here is the full report consumer guide said about trouble areas in 6th gens

Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Audio system: Installing an aftermarket radio can result in loss of dome lights and keyless entry. Those two systems are tied into the Honda radio. (1997)

Automatic transmission: Automatic transmission may shift harshly due to contaminated linear shift solenoid. Fix includes repeated fluid changes plus installation of a new solenoid. (1996-2000)

Check-engine light: "Check Engine" light may glow on vehicles used where salt is used on the roads because the EVAP solenoid fails. (1998-00)

Cupholders: The cupholder lid sticks closed or will not close due to missing latch. (1996-97)

Electrical problem: Surging, similar to lock-up torque converter dithering, is caused by a poor electrical ground between the chassis and transmission. (1999)

Seatbelts/safety: Seatbelts may not retract or may retract slowly. Also, the button that keeps the seatbelt tongue from sliding down breaks. The belts should be serviced under the Honda Lifetime Seat Belt Limited Warranty. (1996-97)

Water leak: Water leaks onto the front floor (either or both sides) due to insufficient sealer on body seams. (1996-97)

Wipers: If windshield wipers don't park in the correct position, wiper motor may need to be replaced. (1998-2000)

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sean Gibson said:
Alright Guys,

Ive had a water leak in the passenger footwell of my Civic for some time now and cant seem to see where it is coming from.

Ill be selling this car soon so i need to get it sorted.

Ive heard stories of leaks being caused by the tail lights and vents behind the front headlights. Personally i think it could be due to something esle.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading :!:
yeah dude i had a leak in my trunk it was a microscopic hair crack but over night a lot of water can get in your trunk if it rains, i think your best bet it to take some panels off and have a buddy run a hose over your car and you just stay inside and play hide and go leak, i bought that adhesive to seal windshields filled that hair crack and blam that was all it took

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Start at the bottom if you do a leak test btw. Start at the bottom, see if it leaks. Then go a little higher, see if that leaks. Then go a little higher and see if that leaks, etc, etc.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Trbolvrcrx said:
Audio system: Installing an aftermarket radio can result in loss of dome lights and keyless entry. Those two systems are tied into the Honda radio. (1997)

Seatbelts/safety: Seatbelts may not retract or may retract slowly. Also, the button that keeps the seatbelt tongue from sliding down breaks. The belts should be serviced under the Honda Lifetime Seat Belt Limited Warranty. (1996-97)
Wow, Im glad im not the only one having problems with those two..

mhi

I ♥ My Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

layincivic

5+ Year Member
look under the dash at you heater box, you might have a hose that has poped off. that will cause water to soak ur passenger floor board! that is what was happening to mine

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
layincivic said:
look under the dash at you heater box, you might have a hose that has poped off. that will cause water to soak ur passenger floor board! that is what was happening to mine
Where abouts is that hose man? Ill take a look, i think it might be that actually!

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sean Gibson said:
Where abouts is that hose man? Ill take a look, i think it might be that actually!
If he's talking about the heater inlet and outlet hoses then the floor would have coolant on it instead of water.

These are the hoses on the heater box.

And this is the heating system components.