Weird A/C Problem: Civic 1997

ihusain

Imran Husain
I have a weird A/C Problem. The air conditioning system fails unexpectedly but gets automatically fixed. Last year it failed during summer but at the end of winter during the current year it started working again. However it failed after a very short trouble free operation period of a few weeks. As diagnosed by many mechanics, it is an electrical problem. One of them speculated that it is the condenser fan problem.

There are two slide-switches in the Center-Dashboard and an A/C button which turns green when the A/C fan starts. Currently, there is no green light on this switch although the fan always turns on but I get hot air only.

Is it possible to diagnose and fix the problem my self?

RonJ

Banned
More information is needed.

Are you saying that there is a strict correlation between the A/C not working and the A/C button green light not lighting?

When the A/C does not work, does the condenser fan fail to run and does the compressor clutch fail to engage or just one of these components does not work?

Last edited:

ihusain

Imran Husain
The performance of the air conditioning system is not consistent. It seems to depend on the ambient temperature. If it is cool already then I have some luck but not always. The a/c switch itself has a green light display and the green light should always be on when the slide-switch for the fan is moved to any position.

RonJ

Banned
The performance of the air conditioning system is not consistent. It seems to depend on the ambient temperature. If it is cool already then I have some luck but not always. The a/c switch itself has a green light display and the green light should always be on when the slide-switch for the fan is moved to any position.
You did not answer any of the questions in my earlier post.

ihusain

Imran Husain
I cannot check the movement in clutch as it is remotely located. The condenser fan does not spin when A/C fails. Today, however, due to cold weather, the A/C started working but the cooling rate was low.

RonJ

Banned
Well, unless you can answer some basic troubleshooting questions, it's nearly impossible to give you any useful information.