Weird noise coming from my 93 Civic LX (video)

myherojack24

I recently bought a cheap 93 Honda Civic LX to get to and from work and it's making a sound I've never heard from a car before. I'm attaching a link to a short YouTube video that I recorded. I'm more mechanically savvy than most girls (well some guys too) and I've had a couple of old Hondas in the past but never have I experienced this. It has other issues that need dealt with too but this is probably the most critical as I assume it is transmission related. Any help in diagnosing it is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbaw0YZD350&feature=em-upload_owner

Sent from my mobile device, please excuse brevity and spelling errors.

RonJ

Banned
Have you checked the ATF level and quality?

Any CEL codes?

What are the other problems?

Attachments

myherojack24

My boyfriend said he checked and topped off the ATF...I have only had the car for about 2 weeks and the weather has been nasty and I've been working a lot so I haven't even looked up how to pull the codes yet but considering thecheck engine light comes on while I'm driving, I'm sure it will throw something. Some of the other issues are/were...no dash lights, pulled the dimmer switch and did the little jumper trick to work around that. No speedometer or odometer, from what I've read that's probably the speed sensor. The windows don't clear up well when it's rainy/snowy and someone mentioned that if that's coupled with a sweet smell there could be a hole in the condenser and suggested bars leak or whatever it's called. The clock resets every time the car is shut off which isn't of major importance but it also dims drastically when the lights are turned on so that's probably a ground issue I'm thinking...ugh...you probably regret asking huh?

RonJ

Banned
he checked and topped off the ATF
It would be wise to drain the old ATF and refill with fresh Honda or Honda-recommended ATF.

.I haven't even looked up how to pull the codes yet but considering thecheck engine light comes on while I'm driving, I'm sure it will throw something.
Click the Codes link in my signature.

No speedometer or odometer, from what I've read that's probably the speed sensor.
Start by checking whether CEL code 17 is thrown. If so, the problem could be a bad wire, speedometer unit, or speed sensor.

The windows don't clear up well when it's rainy/snowy and someone mentioned that if that's coupled with a sweet smell there could be a hole in the condenser and suggested bars leak or whatever it's called.
Sweet smell is a coolant leak. Is the carpet wet with coolant? Check whether the heater core is leaking.

The clock resets every time the car is shut off which isn't of major importance but it also dims drastically when the lights are turned on so that's probably a ground issue I'm thinking...ugh...you probably regret asking huh?
The 7.5A hood Back Up fuse may be blown. Test it.

myherojack24

I will definitely do all of the things you've suggested. Thank you so much and I'll update as I check things off.