What causes an engine to turn over?

tunerGONEbomber

Been lookin around here and else where about what causes an engine to turn over, all i can find is 100 reasons why peoples cars wont turn over. Thanks Errybody

sinister06civic

I dont fully understand what you want to know,but if you want to know what starts it when you turn the ignition.. well the starter does,it's a high torqe motor and it has a gear or "bendix" that extends out to meet the fly wheel and turns the engine over.hope thats the info you wanted

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
starter, fuel, air, and spark

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when you turn the key the battery supplies power to the starter motor which spins the flywheel and starts cranking the engine. the fuel pump is also sending fuel to the injectors at this time which are injecting fuel into the cylinders which is lit by the spark plugs causing an explosion and driving the pistons down into the cylinders. once this happens the engine turns over and the starter is no longer needed because the engine is now running. that was a very basic explanation but you get the idea.

tunerGONEbomber

yeah yeah thats really what im looking for! i have had some wiring issues with my build amongst other problems but for now i just want to get it running. Up unitl about a week ago the starter wouldnt do jack s*%$ but i have been trying everything and i just put a wire to the valve cover and grounded it and all of a sudden the starter will click once. i know its getting fuel and air. My problem now is why isnt it turning over or at least trying? any suggestions?

sinister06civic

low voltage would be the first suspect,if you have at least 12 volts then check the starter..it could be locked up or the solinoid is bad.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah yeah thats really what im looking for! i have had some wiring issues with my build amongst other problems but for now i just want to get it running. Up unitl about a week ago the starter wouldnt do jack s*%$ but i have been trying everything and i just put a wire to the valve cover and grounded it and all of a sudden the starter will click once. i know its getting fuel and air. My problem now is why isnt it turning over or at least trying? any suggestions?
okay, so try testing the starter first. if its good check your power and ground cables on the battery and the chassis grounds too.

i bet its the grounds.

tunerGONEbomber

hmmm just did a little more investigating, all the dash lights kick off when i try and start it, as well as the ecu beeps at me. idk if this means anything.