What do I need? 2" drop

CaseyEJ8

I've done a decent amount of research and I just can't find my answers; plus I always think it's better to ask my own questions to get what I need. I guess I'm just sort of confused about what exactly I need to lower my car. I think my final decision on coilovers is going to be Progress, they seem to be a decent brand for my budget. But, is that all I need? Am I going to need an alignment kit or a camber kit? I also looked into lowering springs considering I'm only looking to drop it 2 inches at the most atm but I don't know what else I need for that also.

My current "build.":

99 Civic EX. Completely stock besides some cosmetic things, exhaust and intake.
Currently sitting at 14" in the front and 13.5" in the back. It has a slight negative camber in the rear, was told by a shop I needed a camber kit that they were going to charge me $230(per side) just for the part which just seemed ridiculous.
Needs a tie rod end on the front driver side which is hindering me from getting an alignment done.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you dont plan any aggressive driving then just get struts & springs as coilovers are overkill for regular daily driving. We have threads specifically covering brand suggestions so theres no need for repetition.

As for camber kits, they're not needed as research would show you. That shop you went to is nuts so go find a good shop.

Lastly, what are those 13.5 & 14 inch measurements referring to exactly?

CaseyEJ8

If you dont plan any aggressive driving then just get struts & springs as coilovers are overkill for regular daily driving. We have threads specifically covering brand suggestions so theres no need for repetition.

As for camber kits, they're not needed as research would show you. That shop you went to is nuts so go find a good shop.

Lastly, what are those 13.5 & 14 inch measurements referring to exactly?
The measurements are from the middle of the wheel to where the fender starts(Im not sure if I'm explaining that well). I was told to do so in my last post of trying to find out why I had the negative camber. I've been told getting springs would make my ride bumpier and not worth it. Also, would struts and springs be all I would need?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im not going to answer your question twice. You need to research the basics about springs and lowering suspension because you seem to be going on what some member told you in another forum. You get what you pay for in quality with suspension.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The measurements are from the middle of the wheel to where the fender starts(Im not sure if I'm explaining that well). I was told to do so in my last post of trying to find out why I had the negative camber. I've been told getting springs would make my ride bumpier and not worth it. Also, would struts and springs be all I would need?
It's the toe angle, not camber, that will destroy your tires when you're lowered. That being said, 6th gen Civic's rear suspension would actually benefit from a camber kit. See the exception in this thread here.

Any aftermarket suspension, whether coilovers or springs, will make your ride bumpier. If you want to adjust your ride height more than once, get a set of coilovers. If you're looking for a simple drop, struts and springs are all you need if you want to save some $. I encourage you to look up the difference between a struts/springs and a full coilover setup, as there are pro's and con's to each.

I've heard very good things with the Progress setup you're looking at, if it's CSII's.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Best bet is to get coilovers as IMO the deeper you get into the game, the more you'll want to adjust lower. Or maybe I'm just thinning of me. Anyway, like stated before, you'll need to adjust for "toe" via a professional alignment after new suspension. If you do decide to get a spring set up, you'll have to buy coilovers in the future if you want to move up or down to accommodate for wheels... if that is in your plans.

99anubis

Respected
Okay heres what I think you should do. Go find good struts not cheap ones get something decent the go on Amazon and get adjustable springs kit and that should allow you to drop the car 2 inches and have a nice ride quality

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CoupedUp99

If you are asking this question brotha, you need can do several things 1 stay out of the car scene, 2 read read and read some more, 3 ask the homies for the answers lol.....basically you need to swap of the springs on your shocks, i.e. install lowering springs, or purchase yourself a set of coil overs which is the better route to go IMO. first get a clear direction of where you want your car to end up and how you want it to get their, then decide you how want to lower it.....You can be cheap in many ways, but please don't be when it comes to the suspension.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's going on with the 2" drop?