What do you think about the engine noise ?

TS2008

Hi

I recorded the engine noise of my civic while it was idling. The engine vibrates little bit and I need a second ear and a second thought about the engine noise. I don't find anything "wrong" but I could miss something because I so get use to this engine noise. Anyway, all your feedback and thoughts are welcomed. thx

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It sounds like you may just need to adjust your valves. Make sure youre using the proper engine oil viscosity & high mileage oil only. Also, only use 87 octane fuel and stay on top of all your maintenance.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Hope it's something related to the head of the engine, and not some part related to your cylinders.

TS2008

It sounds like you may just need to adjust your valves. Make sure youre using the proper engine oil viscosity & high mileage oil only. Also, only use 87 octane fuel and stay on top of all your maintenance.
Yeah, I forget the valve job after replacing the timing belt.

Hope it's something related to the head of the engine, and not some part related to your cylinders.
What do you mean ?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you mean ?
I think he is eluding to the valves being the issue & need an adjustment instead of the cylinders & pistons being damaged in the block, which are usually much more costly and difficult to replace. But Im confident that a valve adjustment should help alot. When you open the valve cover, take a picture & post it here. If you find any metal shavings then you're in trouble.

TS2008

I think he is eluding to the valves being the issues & need an adjustment instead of the cylinders & pistons being damaged in the block, which are usually much more costly and difficult to replace. But Im confident that a valve adjustment should help alot. When you open the valve cover, take a picture & post it here. If you find any metal shavings then you're in trouble.
I didn't find anything abnormal inside last time when the cover was removed. The engine oil was also analysed by Blackstone last year and nothing abnormal was found either. Probably I'm going to do the valve job this weekend and I'll let you know. thanks again =)