What have you done to your 5th Gen Civic Today?

bzzt

I don't have to drive an hour to help replace the head gasket today. :D
My daughter's boyfriend started taking it apart and it turned out to be a leaking o-ring on the distributor and busted coolant line.
Next thing to do is the steering rack.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, here are some pics of the recently revived EG engine! New head gasket, waterpump, thermostat, timing belt, and replaced the power steering pump as well (it seized about a month before the head gasket blew)
Now, need to get inspected (expired 03/13)

Attachments

Standupspeakup

Figured i'd make my first post on here. I'm kinda hyped on what I was able to do within the last two weeks due to being off from work. I've been putting alot of this stuff off due to work and other priorities. But anyways, it feels good to get back in the "game"......but recently I just installed ac, car didn't come with it at all, basically bought just about everything brand new, even the idler pulley that didn't come with the car lol....only thing that was used were the lines and the condenser that I picked up....feels pretty good to have ac in FL, i've been riding no ac for the past two years so i'm ecstatic lol....also put some iridiums in the car, I was surprised at how well they actually made the car run compared the standard ngks i've been running. Just reupholstered my 2nd gen s2k seats down the middle due to the sun roasting them to the point of cracking and looking like garbage. Replaced the aftermarket steering wheel that was in the car (supposedly momo, but all it says is made from Italy) and put a black suede w/red stick nrg wheel in there to match the quick release. Just replaced my sunroof glass which i'm hyped about.

My glass from before actually flew off going down the interstate some how, i'm assuming the Florida heat took its toll on the window caulk that was originally holding everything it in place. The car also came with this make shift wanna be push start ordeal (that didn't work at all) and because of this wanna be push start bs, the bottom part of the dash where the cig lighter sits, that portion had two holes cut out. One for the cig lighter and one for the crap push start...and since he wired them both like s**t, I couldn't use the cig lighter for charging my phone or anything else for that matter due to it shorting out the fuse. Changed all of that so it looks clean and actually functions the way it should. My glove box was actually broken as well from a kid launching his phone into my dash (I fixed the dash that week) but the glovebox was barely hanging on. Had a big gap, if you opened it, the bracket would fall off and then wouldn't shut....fixed that, actually ended up making my own bracket to make it work, but it shuts and seals like a champ now lol.......and now my goal is rewire my jdm fogs so they'll actually work and i'm golden....

Initially I didn't plan on keeping the car, I just bought it thinking I was going to beat around in it and move onto something newer, but the bug bit me and I fell in love with the car. So between the stuff I just listed and a month prior to that I decided to go get the spoon lookalike mirrors and the password jdm window visors. Also bought new tires, raised the car up a touch and got it all aligned up along with a new control arm and two new axles........I almost feel like I went through a restoration process with the car.....If I were to show pics of it though before I did all this you wouldn't think it was in bad condition at all.....but all those little things added up. And I was tired of treating it like my beater. I already figured I wouldn't get a ton of money out of it if I were to sell it. So I figured keep it for myself, make it nicer then how I bought it and actually have a car that a female wouldn't mind sitting in haha....

So anyways, that was a long ass post, but yeah....felt accomplished.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
topped off all the fluids (and but a s***load of steering fluid in the reservoir. recently changed the steering pump), new belts, and took to get inspected. Car had been sitting for about 4 months with bad head gasket and 1/2 tank of gas, finally got the head gasket changed. Got to the inspection station, they suspected exhaust leak. Dammit, they were right. Appears the gaskets on the pipe between resonator and muffler had blown after 7 years. Replaced, now need to get inspected

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
just recieved my energy suspension hyper flex kit! didnt really do anything to her today other than gas her up and added lucas fuel system treatment. waiting for payday, gonna get some jack stands and install a front sway bar and lower control arms i swiped from a junk yard integra.

Ciall

Gave my 92 LX a wash, replaced an aesthetic headlamp bulb(i really wish it would turn on lol), and learned the hard way that my wiper fluid reservoir isn't actually connected to anything. The line that goes to the jets from the reservoir was severed when my girls dad put it up on ramps to change the oil. He slammed them under the bumper, bending it up, as I looked on in horror. Didn't realize he did real damage til there was half a gallon of wiper fluid in my driveway. F*ck. Guess i won't be bored tomorrow.

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
instaled front lca's and roll bar from an integra on my 95 dx coupe today. it didnt have one to begin with, and after slapin her on i realized a different vehicle! also i put the new end link bushings and shifter stabilizer bushings from my energy susp kit while she was under the knife. im so pleased, but i still need to replace my shock absorbers up front. the left one is blown. cant wait to get the suspension taken care of , im dyin to go autoX!

Dragula92civic

Jewell Motorsports
installed hood pins on my 92 sedan. about to put a short throw in it as well all JDM parts.. I have done a lot lately to it and will be posting pictures and updates soon

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
topped of the fluids and added lucas fuel treatment to my tank. that stuff really works pretty good, my range has improved by about 40 miles since i used it last. 6.2 gallons gets me about 260miles.

bzzt

New steering rack and tie rod ends.
I paid for the parts and my daughter's boyfriend did the work. Think I got off easy. :cool:
Now onto tires and alignment. No biggie, only paid $1800 for the whole car!

topped of the fluids and added lucas fuel treatment to my tank. that stuff really works pretty good, my range has improved by about 40 miles since i used it last. 6.2 gallons gets me about 260miles.
That's one thing I miss about my R18. I'm lucky to average 200 miles on a tank in my srt-4.

Last edited by a moderator:

bzzt

4 new tires installed & balanced, AND alignment, $300 out the door!
Hamm's Tire an Auto in Lewisville, TX :thumbs up

pwbull09

Class A smart A$$
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did a head gasket on sunday. Ive been searching for a new hood all week

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
adjusted the valve clearances. completely eliminated valve train clatter. while i had the valve cover off i replaced the gasket. replaced upper control arm pivot bushings with the ones supplied in my energy suspension kit, the install on the bushing kit is going slowly but steady.

Sammy D

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought my 2nd eg hatch yesterday. I got rid of my other one for an eclipse back in June 2013. WORST decision I've ever made in my life. The eg was stock when I bought it, and I did a few minor things (CAI, catback, etc.). Ever since I got rid of it, I've wanted another one, because they're such terrific cars, especially for commuting.

I found the exact same model and color online last week, and immediately fell in love. it's the dx hatchback, has ONLY 112000 MILES!!, and is in perfect mechanical condition. There's only one tiny patch of rust on the pass. quarter panel. There are a bunch of scratches and a couple dents on it, but for a 19 year old car, with just over 100,000 miles on it, $2900 was a STEAL.

I'll be posting pics as soon as I clean it today. Yesterday I replaced the air filter and vacuumed it out a little bit, and ran a hose over it.

Anyway, I'm happy to be back on the forum. It feels like home!! haha

EJoe1

ordering parts here ... blew a motor :( but got new/used 1 with carb legal header for 500$$$$$$ which around here is a great deal ...now just gettin gaskets and misc stuff for it ..think i might rebuild the old 1 has a rod knock but still runs and drives ..but im scared to drive like that

Sammy D

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I threw in a pioneer deh-150mp today with just the stock speakers to fill the hole in my dash (and heart). sounds quite good actually. also rinsed some of that lovely road salt off :thumbs up

Sammy D

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I sanded/ground away the honda cancer on my eg rear QPs. Luckily it hadn't gotten too bad. Next is to fill it with bondo, sand, and prime. Anybody have any pointers?

(I'm parked on a hill, that's why the wheel well spacing is so different xD)

Last edited: