What is a test pipe? Does it substitute the catalytic converter ? please help

johnmota93

Hi im changing the exhaust piping in my car cuz i have a straight pipe and im trying to change it to regualr piping i have a 97 civic ex d 16y8 piping so my catalytic converter is on the bottom if i remove the pipe the cat goes with it so i was thinking about welding my cat onto the new piping but then a friend told me i can get a test pipe that bolts on and its like a catalytic converter so i wouldnt need any welding or get a new cat ,,then i see online the test pipe is the resonator for the d16y7 exhast piping ? so im confused can someone help me out ??
thanks

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
A test pipe is an unrestricted piece of pipe. No cat and not SMOG legal (if you care about that). Its one of the first mods people do looking for more power. A high flow cat is one step above that, then you have the factory cat. All of which can be bought and swapped out with ease when ever you need. No welding.

CO671

Registered VIP
A test pipe is basically a catalytic converter without the honeycomb insides. It's just a hollow piece of piping.
If you have those emissions tests, smog, whatever they're called, I'm pretty sure a test pipe will make you fail.

However, if you want to use a test pipe, you'll have to modify the secondary o2 sensor by installing the spark plug non-fouler trick. I just did this the past weekend onto my Civic, and now i'm not running rich or having a CEL anymore.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=296791

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get the oem cat converter and save the Earth..its not worth the extra .1 hp nor the inability to pass emissions

johnmota93

ok alaska and co671so basically it goes in place of a catalytic converter but dosent do the job right? so its illegal then right? i would like some more power but idont wanna have illegal piping without a cat in california you get f**ked good lol
so in my position should i just weld my cat onto the new piping keep it legal what would you guys recommend?

*and 2 slo i really dont give a damn this world is doomed either way too late to give a damn lol

johnmota93

hey alaskab16 so that high flow catalytic converter will give me about the same power as the test pipe cuz i want to keep my s**t legal damn cops are strict out here but i want more power ??

CO671

Registered VIP
Catalytic converters should be bolt-on to headers or even the stock EX headers in most cases, just to make things easier.
Power from I/H/E? No no no no, you won't be gaining any power from intake, headers or exhaust. Take some time and save up ~$1,500 and you can turn your EX 4 door into a 200-400hp turbocharged eco-shopping cart.

johnmota93

ok yea that make sense ima see how i can weld my cat onto the new piping save me some bucks instead of getting a high flow cat get me a turbcharged eco-shopping cart lol

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The cat should bolt on, not weld on

johnmota93

yea i know right ting is when i bought my car i didnt notice it was straight piped so my cat is welded on to my current ppiping not bolted so now i gotta see how i get it on the new piping any ideas?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the cat off and flange it. Then keep it for when you need it or sell the car. I've never lived in a SMOG state before so I toss the cat's in the garbage.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A test pipe on a d-series is not worth the lack of power gain, the smell, and the noise. Unless you enjoy sounding like a ricer. Just my $0.02.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
How is this the longest thread ever about what a test pipe is? LOL

I think the theory on what it can or can't do for your car is beside the point. Value, time, bang for the buck, sound... it's in the eye of the beholder.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How is this the longest thread ever about what a test pipe is? LOL
lol

I think the theory on what it can or can't do for your car is beside the point. Value, time, bang for the buck, sound... it's in the eye of the beholder.
While I agree with the last part, if the facts are presented to you, you should be able to have better judgment. To a lot of us that have been in the scene for longer, we actually know how much a test pipe does not actually benefit a stock d-series and the side effects aren't really worth it. And most of us would recommend to not get one unless you have the supporting mods (ie - turbo).

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
While I agree with the last part, if the facts are presented to you, you should be able to have better judgment. To a lot of us that have been in the scene for longer, we actually know how much a test pipe does not actually benefit a stock d-series and the side effects aren't really worth it. And most of us would recommend to not get one unless you have the supporting mods (ie - turbo).
Agreed but this thread was never a question on engine set up vs cat. My statement "I think the theory on what it can or can't do for your car is beside the point." doesn't imply anything to the specifics of a build. I understand the benefits quit clearly on cat vs. no cat, OEM vs. built motor, but again my statement speaks nothing to that. There was never a question on should I or shouldn't I so... "beside the point". Yeah?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well the thread doesn't have to be about getting one or not. The more facts and information in a thread, the better useful it will be. Just because someone posts, "should I buy this" and everyone says no, doesn't mean the thread should stop there. Why you shouldn't, why you should, where you should buy from, where you shouldn't, etc. is all information that is beneficial for everyone and the future.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Its one of the first mods people do looking for more power.

Then again I did say this... This probably would have been a more true statement on my Evo/4g63 boards. I'll kick myself in the sack for this... My bad.

johnmota93

@ alaska yea thats what ima do cuz id rather convert it to bolt on instead of weldeing on to my new piping and right here in cali thoses cats are worth money nd i need to keep my ride legal thanks man

@ john yea it is a little more power gain but in cali i cant have one cuz if the cops see you without a cat o man its all bad and yea i was jsut asking cuz someone on craigslist was selling it and those are way cheaper than cats lol so im just gonna keep the cat i have thanks