1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

What is the difference between OBD2A and OBD2B?

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by treysawyers, Mar 13, 2005.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. treysawyers

treysawyers New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I have a 98 honda civic DX, and i have a 2000 acura B18b1 LS engine i want to swap in and i need an ecu. Can someone tell me the differences in OBD2 A & B so i know which one i can use. Most likely im going to use the engine harness that is already in the car. but i also have the Engine harness from the LS as well. Can i use a 96-99 ecu on my engine? or do i have to get a 2000-2001?

2. Shiznit

Shiznit Stickin it to the Man Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

OBD2B
    • 2000-2001 Acura Integra
    • 1999-2000 Honda Civic
    • 1998-2002 Honda Accord

OBD2A
    • 1996-1999 Acura Integra
    • 1996-1998 Honda Civic
    • 1996-2001 Honda Prelude
    • 1996-1997 Honda Accord

3. iamcivic

iamcivic zdnfhsz fhz Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

They have different plug designs.

4. treysawyers

treysawyers New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

IS the plug designs different on the engine itself or is it different under the dash board?

5. iamcivic

iamcivic zdnfhsz fhz Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Where the harness plugs into you ecu its dfferent. The ecu is found in the passenger side corner of the car. the design of an OBD2A has a plug, a blank space, a plug and a plug. OBD2B has a plug, a plug, a plug, and a blank space.

6. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

bump an old thread, i know the design is diff. but im running a 00Y8 motor with a 96Y8 ECU and engine harness. it doesnt feel as strong as my old motor and jerks violently at times and runs funny. like its choking for air or something. would like to know the difference between the two and if i could use my 96 ecu plugs and just plug it into a 99-00 ecu. thnks. you know me. noob all day!

7. 2slo4u

2slo4u wait4me Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

8. knightxrider1

knightxrider1 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

anyone else?