Wheel Lug Torque

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I came across some information regarding torque specs for alloy wheels saying that most should only be torqued to 65-70 ft/lbs. The alignment shop around here told me to torque them to 90 ft/lbs and they have been this way for the past 2 months. A few people said that they had broken studs when using alloy wheels at this torque spec, so I just went out to the garage and loosened my lugs, 90 ft/lbs was a lot tighter than I thought. So I got my torque wrench out after loosening my lugs and retorqued them to 65 ft/lbs. Did I do the right thing? What do you guys torque your lugs to on your aftermarket wheels?

exoin

STi Driver
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alloy I would go with 75-85. Steel mag wheels I would use 90-100

Sound Streamin'

Boost or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I only hand tighten them, never with air tools. If you use air tools, you'll never get em off if you have a flat.

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, I just use my hand torque wrench, but I know if you get them too tight anyway it can cause damage especially on aftermarket aluminum wheels, I don't want to damage a set of wheels when a new set of wheels are far from cheap

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would just go with what Honda recommends.

civicvtec1ps

7thgencivic.com Mod
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You did right thing.
I wouldn't torque any more than 75lbs on aftermarket wheels.
Honda's recommandation on 7thgen coupe/sedan is 76lbs.
80lbs for 7thgen Hatch.

MorphiasX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have stock steelies, and i torque mine to 80 ft/lbs.

I never use air tools, and when i take it to the tire shop, i request that they dont. We have locking lugs on our land cruiser, and they were using the key on air tools, and they actually broke the key... So since then i always just use my torque wrench...

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^well they are morons for using air on locking lugs. we just use a breaker bar to get some leverage on the locks, but never the impact gun