1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Wheel Lug Torque

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension' started by Spencey, Mar 9, 2004.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Spencey

Spencey New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I came across some information regarding torque specs for alloy wheels saying that most should only be torqued to 65-70 ft/lbs. The alignment shop around here told me to torque them to 90 ft/lbs and they have been this way for the past 2 months. A few people said that they had broken studs when using alloy wheels at this torque spec, so I just went out to the garage and loosened my lugs, 90 ft/lbs was a lot tighter than I thought. So I got my torque wrench out after loosening my lugs and retorqued them to 65 ft/lbs. Did I do the right thing? What do you guys torque your lugs to on your aftermarket wheels?

2. exoin

exoin STi Driver 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Alloy I would go with 75-85. Steel mag wheels I would use 90-100

3. Sound Streamin'

Sound Streamin' Boost or Die Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I only hand tighten them, never with air tools. If you use air tools, you'll never get em off if you have a flat.

4. Spencey

Spencey New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

yeah, I just use my hand torque wrench, but I know if you get them too tight anyway it can cause damage especially on aftermarket aluminum wheels, I don't want to damage a set of wheels when a new set of wheels are far from cheap

5. BrownGuy

BrownGuy New Member

I torque my aftermarket lugnuts to 80 ft/lbs...

6. neaky

neaky Nexus One Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I would just go with what Honda recommends.

7. civicvtec1ps

civicvtec1ps 7thgencivic.com Mod Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

You did right thing.
    I wouldn't torque any more than 75lbs on aftermarket wheels.
    Honda's recommandation on 7thgen coupe/sedan is 76lbs.
    80lbs for 7thgen Hatch.

8. MorphiasX

MorphiasX New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I have stock steelies, and i torque mine to 80 ft/lbs.

I never use air tools, and when i take it to the tire shop, i request that they dont. We have locking lugs on our land cruiser, and they were using the key on air tools, and they actually broke the key... So since then i always just use my torque wrench...

9. Bangin' HB

Bangin' HB surfing member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

^well they are morons for using air on locking lugs. we just use a breaker bar to get some leverage on the locks, but never the impact gun