Wheels dropped 95 Civic Coupe

EGRedCoupe

Hello everyone,

After having my last 95 civic stolen (had no alarm but was rusting away) I went ahead and bought this. I put an alarm on it asap and so far threw in some kickers etc...

I love this car except one thing for sure is driving me crazy. It's dropped and where I live some roads are a nightmare. I find myself slowing down and carefully navigating myself over what feels like harsh terrain lol, I just can't even explain what just a few bumps in the road feels like in this car. I've never experienced anything like it except my old car wasn't dropped but did bounce around a bit in similar situations. So far I've noticed my bumper has come apart a bit on the passenger side from all the turbulence lol.

Question, would changing the tires/wheels help? I really want to leave it dropped, how would I go about making it smoother?

motakitty

I went from having 17"s to the stock 13" tires and made my car much more smoother and that was when i had crappy eBay coilovers. I have since gotten f&f t1s and like the ride much better. Low profile tires will always ride a little harsher then a taller sidewall but you might want to look at how the car was lowered. You can still have it lower but ride nice

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need better coilovers and im sure your struts are blown

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The picture isnt clear enough to identify, but if those are not 5-lug 17s rims, then they're imitation TL Type-S rims from eBay. If someone bought eBay rims they probably also purchased eBay suspension parts. If the rims are 5-lug 17s, consider yourself lucky someone else went through the mission of changing the lug pattern. I've had real TL Type-S rims on my previous Legend coupe and they dont ride rough. Real or not, your suspension is likely worn out or you have a cheap set-up. I will add, however, that Civics dont normally do very well with 17s and will likely at least rub even with a new set-up.

Have you attempted the bounce test at each wheel fender? If your unaware of it, stand in front of each front wheel and push down as hard as you can on the fender. If it bounces more than once to reset, the strut is blown. If it bounces just once but seems to travel down more than you think it should then the springs are either worn or were previously cut. Perform the bounce test and peek in the wheel wells & look for any identifying labels on the struts & springs along with their colors and let us know. One of us will immediately know the brands just by the colors sometimes.

EGRedCoupe

Would I get a better performance upgrading the suspension or tires? Both?

Upgrading tires? Can you throw me some names of what I should consider/avoid?

Will do the strut thing first thing.
Thanks!!

lscivic48

get rid of the coilovers and get a nice set of eibach or skunk2 springs with some nice koni's or kyb agx struts and that will fix a lot of your problems. I live in new York too with some absolute horrible roads by me plus when I go to the city that is a night mare.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
^agreed my favorite ride with perfectly drivable height was on my tein stech springs with kyb agx struts all around. Id recommend it to anyone from my experience!

lscivic48

I love my skunk2 springs with my agx kyb's. add some energy suspension bushing with some skunk2 upper control arms and that's the way to smooth out your ride.

EGRedCoupe

Update

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the input, I am back with an update =)

I upgraded the suspension with Koni struts and Tein springs however they were unable to replace the rear, driver's side due to a damaged "rear left lower control arm." The ride quality has improved immensely despite missing the 4th thingy. Currently in the process of getting that control arm, which would've been simpler had I never discovered they come in colors.

Further Issues:

The Squeak: My back tires have been squeaking although I can be wrong with the location of the sound. It wasn't there when I got the car, fresh from CT. I'm afraid driving in NYC before the upgraded suspension messed something up :(

The AC: Previous owner stated in order for the AC to work I would just need to get an AC belt. Got that put in with some freon and noticed couple days later, it no longer blew cold. Went ahead with a bad idea and added some freon in myself and shortly after noticed a horrible smell coming from the engine which was kinda like stalling every couple of seconds... so no AC until I figure out what that's about. Maybe a freon leak?

Am I crazy for wanting to move for smoother roads? :roll:
Feedback greatly appreciated! :D

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Squeak: My back tires have been squeaking although I can be wrong with the location of the sound. It wasn't there when I got the car, fresh from CT. I'm afraid driving in NYC before the upgraded suspension messed something up :(
There are so many things that could "squeek" it would be difficult to just guess it off that description.
- Does it happen while driving? While still? When braking? When turning?
- Is it intermittent or constant?
- Does it sound like its coming from both sides? Its unlikely for one source to affect both sides.

The AC: Previous owner stated in order for the AC to work I would just need to get an AC belt. Got that put in with some freon and noticed couple days later, it no longer blew cold. Went ahead with a bad idea and added some freon in myself and shortly after noticed a horrible smell coming from the engine which was kinda like stalling every couple of seconds... so no AC until I figure out what that's about. Maybe a freon leak?
It sounds like the previous owner only mounted the compressor and the system needed pressure testing and a full freon & oil fill-up. The Do-It-Yourself cans are only for a system with a slight leak. You should get the AC system pressure checked and theyll be able to confirm whats going on. Hopefully, its not just a faulty compressor.

RonJ

Banned
You overcharged the A/C system with refrigerant.

Have all of the R134a recovered by a shop and then add the EXACT WEIGHT of R134a specified on the sticker under the hood. Then go from there.

EGRedCoupe

Hello everyone,

Update: Got Skunk2 Pro Front and Rear Camber kit, arm controls etc.. No more squeaks =)

Went for an oil change yesterday and was told I had an oil and transmission fluid leak. Like how the hell did that happen?!
They recommended I go for a tune-up. Make sense? She's (my car) now begun a vicious shake at a complete stop right after I allowed my idiot friend to drive her. Never again!

AC issue: Compressor.

Talk to me!