1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

when to use different gears(D4, D3, 2). and how to save gas

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by pfos, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. pfos

pfos New Member 5+ Year Member

hey guys, i have a honda civic 1999, and i have 3 different gears D4, D3, 2, i'm always running on D4, but i was wondering when should i ever drive on the other gears, and whats the best way to save gas driving a honda civic.

2. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Dont let the big arrow on the left go past 2500!

3. NFR_AP2

NFR_AP2 New Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

just leave it in d4 please

4. leftywill3

leftywill3 I AM TAMARACK!!! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

yea shifting threw the gears in an auto will f**k the tranny
    I know from experience haha

5. somejaykid

somejaykid i'm a mod now Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

drive like a grandma that's how you save gas chief :cool:

6. 6thGenFerio845

6thGenFerio845 New Member 5+ Year Member

keep it in d4.. if u shift it like a manual ur trans will be FUCKED.. even in d4 its starts in 1st then moves up ect as if u were shifting it just does it AUTOMATIC. drive calm and keep it in d4 and ur good.

7. JohnS.

JohnS. BANGARANG Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

You really should only use D4.

Unless you're going down / up really steep hills, then shifting into a lower gear to help you slow down / go up might not be too bad. But for regular driving, shifting an automatic like a manual isn't a good idea.

8. UCCRacing

UCCRacing No Fun Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Wow someone is asking how to save gas in a HONDA????? Really? I get like 16-20mpg in my Trailblazer and thats good compared to some lol....

9. ForrestRanger

ForrestRanger New Member 5+ Year Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission

" * D5 – In Hondas and Acuras equipped with 5-speed automatic transmissions, this mode is used commonly for highway use (as stated in the manual), and uses all five forward gears.

* D4 – This mode is also found in Honda and Acura 4 or 5-speed automatics and only uses the first 4 gears. According to the manual, it is used for "stop and go traffic", such as city driving.

* D3 or 3 – This mode is found in Honda, Acura and Pontiac 4-speed automatics and only uses the first 3 gears. According to the manual, it is used for stop & go traffic, such as city driving. This mode is also found in Honda and Acura 5-speed automatics."

10. Kaotic_Zeus

Kaotic_Zeus Most hated man Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

there is no D5 in the new accords, it's just D which uses all the gears., they totally skip D4 and have D3 right under the D and then it goes 3-2-1, i dunno why they dont have a sportronic mode in the accords or civics yet with auto trannys, atleast in the Accord V6 cmon. the acuras all have them.

If you read the manual that comes with your honda it actually RECCOMENDS shifting the auto trans if you want to engine brake or stay in a gear to climb a hill or something same thing as those stupid crappy paddle shifters in some cars, it wont harm anything maybe wear a your tranny a little bit more but nothing like you guys are talking about, it's the same thing as the transmission being shifted by pressing the gas a little harder or holding the gas to the floor. The only problem with someone people driving their auto like a manual is neutral dropping it at any rpm besides the idle range, that will really ruin your trans.

11. el_betiyo

el_betiyo New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

I used to drive in D3 in the city, and once I hit the ramp on a freeway I would go to D4.
    Don't know if I was doing it right...........but car felt good

12. leftywill3

leftywill3 I AM TAMARACK!!! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

This is the best way to save gas and not f**k your tranny

13. NOFX

NOFX I'm NOT eran! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Your owners manual should go over this too.