where can i make a spare key cheap!!?

2004hondacivic

5+ Year Member
i have a 2004 honda civic vp and does anyone know where i can make a spare key for cheap??? i have been trying many places but all of them want $100-150 to make a copy of the key. the originall key has a chip inside of it..can i make a spare key without the chip inside it?

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it has a chip in it then it won't be cheap to get made...not sure if that is your case here though...

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nope

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nowhere honestly...they are all pretty expensive...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You're pretty much screwed. Go to honda... there's no cheap way out of this.

coupe2001

5+ Year Member
you can get a spare key made without the chip inside....I got mine made at Lowes hardware...the key they made me looks just like my factory key but does not have chip inside....it was like 2 dollars

2004hondacivic

5+ Year Member
when i get the key with out the chip inside of it, does the key only opens the doors and trunk or can it start the engine?

jdmdv

5+ Year Member
you can get one from ebay and get the chip with it, go to walmart and make one for just the door too...it can be very helpful when you lock you keys in your car....other than that you would have to go the dealership and have one made from there......from where i live, i have to take my car, with registration, and id, just incase the car is not stolen or anything...

Civic_Addict

Civic_Addict
5+ Year Member
The reason why these keys are so expensive is due to the corosponding chip concealed within the harness of the key. When you insert your key into the slot the car either rejects it or accepts the code being recieved from the key. Honda started this in all 7th gens due to former gens being superior vehicles on the hot list. Its cheaper going to a honda dealership. They will hook you up for about 95$ MSRP. There the cheapest I've seen them with the chip in them. But the ones without the chip can be handy to get you in your car if you lock yourself out, which i've experienced many times having the cops pry open my door. Well good luck finding this cheap key! Because there not so cheap...

jono237

5+ Year Member
i got one from my honda dealer for 45 and a keyless entry for 45-55 (i dnt remember) and they programed it and everything. So id say shop around u may have to drive 30 min but to save 40 bucks y not.

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you are able to get a key made at a local hardware store it will only open doors. ignition requires the chip.

my friend said the local dealership charges 50 bucks... so i guess you just need to find one that won't rip you off.

civicex16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check ebay see if they have any blanks but the dealer mite be your best bet for speed anyway

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like said above the keys are expensive because they control the immobilizer in the car. you may be able to start the car without the proper key... but.... it will die in less than a min. i started my car with a key from a 91 civic. i jigged the ignition. and got it to turn. the car started but only ran for a min or so.

the honda dealer is the cheapest place to get the proper key made. a key only should be like 35 bux. you can program them yourself. you need to look up the instructions online though. i dont know how its done.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+EX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=COMBINATION+SWITCH

at the bottom... key blank main... 30 bux. go to the dealer with that page. and tell them... you want that. they cant argue with you.

Roly3031

5+ Year Member
Damn I only paid 25 dollars for my spare key with the chip at the Honda dealer try the dealer you'll be suprised