Where to buy the CYP Sensor?

firejackal

5+ Year Member
Quick question, does anyone know where I can buy just the CYP sensor in the distributor? I had bought a rebuilt distributor because my old CYP sensor went bad, drove around for a week, then the CYP sensor is reading as bad again and the store (rockauto) won't take it back cause it's been used. the sensor is easy to take out of the distributor, so if anyone knows where to buy them let me know.

RonJ

Banned
It's unlikely that the CYP sensor has gone bad in both distributors. Check the two CYP wires for a short or open.

firejackal

5+ Year Member
That's how I found out the CYP sensors was bad, when the sensors are cold they read fine, but once the sensors warm up then they read open. Even through a CYP sensor code was never thrown.

RonJ

Banned
No CYP sensor code? Not sure how you are making your resistance measurements, but it seems to me you have a different problem than with the CYP sensor. The rebuilt distributor may be the problem. What are the engine symptoms? Any CEL codes at all?

firejackal

5+ Year Member
Not to start a separate thread on this but originally I was having rough idle that was thrown misfire codes in the cylinders, as I posted in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=197868

After replacement the distributor with a working CYP sensor, since originally the new one was verified working and now it's not (gonna send it back to rockauto anyways cause its bad seals inside.)
so I then started to have the same problems as JohnS was having in http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=196177 with the IACV, so me and my dad took off the new distributor and put the old one back on back with the original coil (had installed an external msd coil after the original misfire codes happened a month or two after I bought the car.)
The old one was back in thinking that those misfires it was having at idle was better then this IACV problem but after changing it it still had that violent behavior when accelerating/decelerating and at idle, and it's random. and that's why I was hoping that he fixed it. I'm seriously hoping it's not a ecu problem since those are f'ing expensive.

but all else I still want to know where those sensors can be bought separately. it's got to be from somewhere since companies rebuild the distributors.