Where to place jack for highest lift

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to know someone with a garage and would use the lift for oil changes. That arrangement has since come to an end so now I'm trying to get the front of the car high enough to change the oil using a regular 2 1/4 ton craftsman jack at the front jack point.

But I can't get it high enough to put jack stands under each side of the pinch welds.

Do I need a better jack with higher lifting capabilities? If so what should I shop for?

Also I've never known where else is safe to jack besides the pinch welds and the two jack points in front behind bumper and rear tow hook. Any help would be appreciated.

Alonsotl05

Respected
If you can't get it high enough with that lift then you might need a new one. I don't see why it won't go high enough. I've been using like the shitty little lifts that new cars come with because I lost my lift and that works. But anyway I usually put the jack stands where there's a small hole about quarter size next to the jack points in front. It's a little to the right of it and inward of the car. Right by the side skirt edge. That's worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can't get it high enough with that lift then you might need a new one. I don't see why it won't go high enough. I've been using like the shitty little lifts that new cars come with because I lost my lift and that works. But anyway I usually put the jack stands where there's a small hole about quarter size next to the jack points in front. It's a little to the right of it and inward of the car. Right by the side skirt edge. That's worked for me.

Have any pictures? Yeah I can't get it to go high enough for the jack stands to catch the pinch welds if I use the front jack point behind the bumper

Alonsotl05

Respected
I just went to go look and they're only in the back I'm sorry. Let me think where I put the jacks in the front lol

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The back points you're referring to would be helpful too lol

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is the lift range of your jack? For my jack, it's 5-3/4" to 19-13/16". I can lift my Civic to a height that easily allows me to drop my transmission remove it from under the car.
How do you find out? It's an older one I've had collecting dust

Alonsotl05

Respected
Yeah no problem. I figured why not I was planning on lowering the rear coils a little bit anyway today so.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks but I'm also wondering where else I can lift to get a desired height if jacking from the front jack point doesn't get the car up high enough

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just did it's 5 1/2" - 15"

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So 3 ton then lol.

But if you're only lifting one side of the vehicle does that equate to full 3 ton weight?